Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by parrott, Dec 3, 2001.

1. I've just bought myself a new Epiphone EB-3, and i think it's ace.
    i'm just not sop sure about the strings; i'm looking for something that combines the punchy sound of a roundwound with the feel of a flatwound.

can any of you help?
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    GHS Pressurewounds or GHS Brite Flats are a couple of possibilities.
  3. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    SIT silencers sound very good.
  4. d'addario half-rounds. started using them just on my fretless, loved the tone so much that i started using them on all my basses.
  5. ah, thank you for your help.

now, does anybody know whereabouts i could get any of these here in central Scotland?
  6. You may want to pm CrawlingEye.I know he uses them/used them for quite sometime and really liked
    the sound and feel.Just an FYI
  7. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Congrats on your new EB-3, Parrot. Groundwounds are designed to be exactly what you described, so they just might be the ticket. At the core, the string should behave like a round, but under the finger: smooooth, like a flat. I also agree with what CJ said about the D'Addario halfwounds, those are pretty cool.

We have a set, jazz nickel round wound, in which the outermost wrap is an unusually small diameter. The result is a smoother than ordinary round, but I would'nt necessarily describe them as "punchy" or bright. They're a little punchier than our (or most) nickel flats, but not by a huge margin. And TI's aint exactly cheap to play around with, so you might start your experiment with a cheaper set of grounds. Just something to think about...
  8. I have Dean Markleys, and they sound horrible once they go dead... and I usually like the sound of dead stainless steal strings.