1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Groundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by parrott, Dec 3, 2001.

1. I've just bought myself a new Epiphone EB-3, and i think it's ace.
    i'm just not sop sure about the strings; i'm looking for something that combines the punchy sound of a roundwound with the feel of a flatwound.

can any of you help?

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    GHS Pressurewounds or GHS Brite Flats are a couple of possibilities.

3. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    SIT silencers sound very good.

4. d'addario half-rounds. started using them just on my fretless, loved the tone so much that i started using them on all my basses.

5. ah, thank you for your help.

now, does anybody know whereabouts i could get any of these here in central Scotland?

6. You may want to pm CrawlingEye.I know he uses them/used them for quite sometime and really liked
    the sound and feel.Just an FYI
    :)

7. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Congrats on your new EB-3, Parrot. Groundwounds are designed to be exactly what you described, so they just might be the ticket. At the core, the string should behave like a round, but under the finger: smooooth, like a flat. I also agree with what CJ said about the D'Addario halfwounds, those are pretty cool.

We have a set, jazz nickel round wound, in which the outermost wrap is an unusually small diameter. The result is a smoother than ordinary round, but I would'nt necessarily describe them as "punchy" or bright. They're a little punchier than our (or most) nickel flats, but not by a huge margin. And TI's aint exactly cheap to play around with, so you might start your experiment with a cheaper set of grounds. Just something to think about...

8. I have Dean Markleys, and they sound horrible once they go dead... and I usually like the sound of dead stainless steal strings.