Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Group dynamics and personality makeup

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jul 20, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ever notice that in almost every band you're in, there is nearly the same group dynamic in each? Here are the archetypes:

THE ANAL RETENTIVE WORRIER...this is the details person, who brings 3 times as much equipment than is needed to a show, is high strung and drives everyone batty. But when people forget things, everyone is glad this guy is around because he's got backup everything...this is the one guy everyone would like to see drink a beer or two BEFORE the show.

THE DUMBA$$...this guy is contantly late, and is constant ticking everyone off, but completely unintentionally...this guy is in no way malicious, just a little bit socially inept. He will unknowingly hit on the bouncer's girlfriend. He doesn't prepare well for gigs, forgets stuff (like guitar stands), but is usually having the most fun. Go figure.

THE STOIC...nothing phases him. Not only does band drama not bother him, he seems to be even unaware of it. He just quietly goes about his band business, shows up and plays. When his opinion is sought on something, its like pulling teeth.

THE BROODER...this guy is the ticking time bomb. He is moody, and when he doesn't like something he won't communicate it until he's ready to blow. He sulks when not listened to.

THE DRAMA QUEEN...this guy writes emails to everyone that are at least 5,000 words. Not a thought goes unspoken, even when nobody wants to hear it. This guy is the ham on stage. This guy usually quits the same band 3 times.

THE PRIMA DONNA...this guy thinks he's the next Buddy Rich or Eddie Van Halen, and doesn't let you forget it. He reminds you of all the big acts he's already played with (although some of his stories are dubious). He works very hard to get the song JUST RIGHT but often forgets that its all about entertainment and not necessarily perfection. He usually gets along with the ANAL RETENTIVE WORRIERS.

So...who are you? I'm the WORRIER guy.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Presently, somewhere between stoic and brooder. I try to keep my interaction with band members professional.

When something's bothering me, I don't notify the band right away - I stew for a bit and try to formulate a tactful written response. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes I'm not.

I got kicked out of my last band because I was too stoic. They wanted a participant in their drama; someone to be part of the family. I was generally content to stand outside and offer, Morpheus-like, what I thought was helpful commentary. But I've seen too much at this point to get either too excited or too upset when it comes to music or band issues. I think the band took it as a sign of disinterest.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    This is exactly why I got rid of my personality.

4. There are some good personalities too though. What about the laid back one who serves as a mediator when the "front man" is yelling at the drummer for "being a big hippie and not wanting to ROCK!!! \m/ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

5. You forgot "The Smoother". The guy who calms thing s down if they get tense. The guy that will take someone aside and give them the low-down without making a public production of it like the "Prima Donna" might.

Plus, there's the guy that thinks he's waaay too good for the band and can't wait to get picked up by a "real, going somwhere band".

6. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    ...the Don Juan
    ...the addict

7. I'm mostly worrier. I always try to have the bases covered when practicing or for a show. I make lists and all kinds of organizational material.

In being the above classification, I'm also part Drama Queen. My emails tend to be quite wordy. (kind of like this post) I want to make sure everyone knows where I'm coming from and no stone is left unturned.

And like Christopher said, I'm part negotiator. I also try to put some thought into any problems or dramas and formulate an educated solution. Luckily, our band wasn't as impatient as his.

Still, we do have a Stoic. It would have to be our singer. He's like a living Corona commercial, don't worry be happy type.

Guitar player is the real Drama Queen. Nice guy, just takes everything personally and is way to literal. Wish he was more "worrier" so he'd learn the freaking solos and stop cutting corners.

Drummer (ex-drummer) is/was definitely our Dumba$$. He just kind of shows up (usually late) and always has some kind of story. He never helps with the business end of things and when playing, he always is just out there. He and I never really "grooved" and that's sad.

Sorry, off topic.

J

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    im the worrier and the broder, the prima donna is our drummer, my singer is also the broder, the stoic was our old guitar player, the guy who replaced him was the worrier as well, and our old guitar player is just the dumbass.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    and i hate my drummer.

10. Don't forget the "Old Sweat". The guy who has been on the scene for years and nothing suprises or phases him. When something goes wrong, he knows how to fix it quickly.

He's never involved with the Drama Queen tantrums or the Worrier - in fact he probably gets along best with the Dumba$$ or the Stoic.

11. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I am definitely the well-aware stoic. :smug:

12. im a little bit of everything! :)

13. The guitar player is the Prima Donna - and for no good reason.

We were in the process of searching for a new drummer. There's a guy we all know who would be a great fit but just lacks a little experience. All he kept harping on all the things he wants in "his" drummer and what he would like to change about the guy.... huh?

Last time I checked, he wasn't tearin' up the strings my brother so just settle down. I find it ironic that he has all these high standards for everyone but himself. He chooses to "get by" rather than really try to perfect his craft.

Needless to say, we outnumbered him so we hired the drummer anyway.