Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grover Washington, Jr, Live DVD w/ Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gfab333, Nov 27, 2004.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Found this one in the $9.99 bargain bin at Tower. This was recorded back in 1981, a live concert with AJ, Eric Gale, Richard Tee, Steve Gadd, etc. The video and sound quality are marginal but alomost decent. You can clearly hear AJ's signature bass style clearly as he plays what appears to be an early '80s American Jazz Bass (4 string). No stunning solos here, just a lot of great groove playing. It's a nice addition to the collection at this bargain price.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow. It would be nice seeing Grover, Tee, & Gale come 'alive' again.
    Sounds like a cool DVD.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nice! I'm listening to "Live at the Bijou" at the moment. Whole other band with him... but good stuff.

4. Joel Hanlon

Joel Hanlon

Mar 15, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    The bass that Anthony Jackson plays in that video is "Career Girl" as Anthony calls it. It is a 60's Fender Jazz Bass tuned down 2 whole steps. He had the finish striped from the bass. That was the bass he used on most of the pop records he played on in the 70's and very early 80's.

From an interview with Anthony:

"Many people think that you used a 5- or 6-string bass on those recordings.

I've never used a 5-string, period. Around the time of Chaka's first solo album [Chaka, Warner Bros., 1978], I resumed the search for an effective 6-string. Remember that the first two instruments had not been successful, despite my using Number One [the Carl Thompson contrabass built in 1975, see photo, page 17] for some recording and touring. In pursuing Number Three, I began discussions with Ken Smith and later Ken Parker, but these went exceedingly slowly, so I did what I could to tide myself over and secure, however awkwardly, a sub-bass range for recording. A little common sense, combined with a willingness to experiment, led me to modify my Fender [the "Career Girl," see photo, page 17] accordingly. I raised the nut, readjusted the truss rod, and did much bridge-fiddling until the instrument felt manageable when tuned down two whole-steps.

I remember feeling rather light-headed, sitting at home the night before the third or fourth session for Naughty, modifying the only instrument I was playing at the time, rendering it unsuitable for any standard project. The rashness of my actions strengthened my resolve to keep on pushing for a true contrabass guitar, confirmed by each minute spent hearing this awesome, thundering sound from my poor, abused 4-string come roaring out of the giant Altec monitors in Atlantic's Studio A."

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow, talk about an old thread (i actually have the dvd as well), but well worth the revival with your post, that's pretty interesting stuff.. never read that interview..

6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Not to pick nits, but here's an image. It doesn't look like 60s pickup spacing at all. Might be a late 60s but I'd put money on it being a 70s body. I've heard that the neck is from a Precision.