1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Growing up too fast

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WickedPissah, Sep 7, 2008.

1. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    So right now, I'm a junior in high school and am looking at colleges. As I look around the house, I see all the great toys I played with as a kid that now belong to younger siblings and say "well ****, it feels like yesterday that this was my stuff. am i really going to college in 2 years?" i think that i've been growing up too fast, and sometimes i wish i was 4 or 5 years old again.

anyone else have a moment like that?

2. I wish I was 16 again sometimes. Then I could get away with all the stupid **** I do :p

3. I wish I was older, that would be totally cool.

4. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    i used to think that...

5. RobTheSkanker

RobTheSkanker

Aug 29, 2006
    Dundalk, MD
    I know exactly the feeling. I keep having these moments in school, remembering stuff that seemed like it just happened but it happened in like 9th or 10th grade, and I'm a senior now. Like friday night I went to a fall festival thing, a thing I've done every year of high school and I ended up standing in the same spot as a year ago and it felt like no time has passed.

Its just a hard thing to truely accept

edit: Then again, it will be nice when I get the full beard thing going

6. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    yeah. it's hard to finally realize that the days are gone where how you do in school has no bearing on your real life. goodbye to the days where every story has a happy ending. i miss the days where i went to school and everyone was everyone's friend, there were no little groups that were mean to eachother.

7. Enjoy it while you can. I just realised this summer, that I don't really have summers anymore.

lowsound

8. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    i try to do little things to preserve my youth, like when i go to a sporting event with a mascot, i'll make every attempt within reason to get its attention and high fives. simple things. y'know.

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Nah. I am older now, with two young kids. I don't miss the trying to keep up with everyone else days and nonsense that happens on the dating/bar scene. Not having to worry about having money for food and gas and depending on slackers I lived with to come up with their half of the bills. High School is the most awkward and uneasy time of someones life and somehow it always gets put on a pedestal.

Other than not playing out every weekend, life is MUCH better now.

10. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Not really, I'm 28 now and I've always been glad at every age that I was no longer the younger more ignorant person I was in years past... you learn SO MUCH with time that it's hard to ever want to go back to when you understood less. YMMV :)

11. I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm from a town of 50,000 in Kentucky and you're from Boston, but I see things differently. Same age (17 in a few weeks), and I'm already looking forward to the SAT and ACT tests that will determine how my college life goes. But I can't wait.

Its not like I want to be older so I can get into bars. I'm just ready to be self-sufficient, or at least as close to it as college several hundred miles from home (Chicago) will allow. I'm ready to not live with my parents, to be surrounded by people I don't know, etc.

This morning even. I stepped outside to the first 'fall' feeling day, wearing this hoodie I've had for years. And something about that struck a chord. Very vague, I know, but something about my house being empty, and this time of year being my favorite, the jacket being so old, I just hit this feeling like I was already as mature as I needed to be. Weird, I know. I really can't explain it any better than that.

12. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Why dwindle in the past though? getting older has so much to offer: Good education, a job that you decide, drivers license, moving out, independence, etc. I'm 19 now, and can't wait to be 5-10 years older, there's just so much to look forwards to doing in the next years of my life that I couldn't do 5 years ago. Just accept the fact that you are maturing, and becoming an adult, and life just seems all that much better. Trust me. :bassist:

13. That depends on your experience though. I found high school to be quite enjoyable. The first half of the first year was a bit strange, but after that initial awkwardness everything went by smoothly. I've got a lot of great memories from high school and sometimes I wouldn't mind being that young and care free again.

14. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    holy crap, I don't think I've been carefree since I was 5... :meh:

:(

15. just wait till your 25 and living alone. you'll have a lot more fun with that thought.

16. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

HAH!!! no. No such thoughts here. Life gets better as I get older.

17. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    It's just all so sudden. Next thing I know, I'll be paying off college and a house and putting up with some woman i was forced to marry.
    this song by my favorite band pretty much sums it up

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've had many of those moments this summer.

It's hit me that I've left my home in a small town to pursue music as a career in Chicago. Some months are far better than others gig wise, but I've got a part time job that helps make it work. I don't feel like I should be 22 years old though. Recently, I've signed on to do a lot of gigs [have about 70 lined up] and I'm still in a bit of disbelief. I feel like I'm just getting a bit further along on the music journey. It feels beyond amazing.

19. So, you want to buy me a beer when I get there?

/Where are you going to school in Chicago? I know I'm going there after High School. I don't care if I don't get accepted anywhere, it's still where I'm going. But right now Columbia, DePaul, University of Chicago, Northwestern, there seem to be a lot of choices, and I'm wondering about them all (sorry about the derail).

20. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I gradulated high school in 1981 and college in 1985 and the only thing that hasn't changed for me is, I still take the last two weeks of December including Jan 1 off. Well, there was one exception, I worked security in 1982 at Sammy's Playhouse in Ft. Walton Bch, FL on a New Year's Eve. I got tired of all the fights so when a guy pulled a knife on me I drew my .357 and watched the guy literally pee his pants. Oh the stupid jobs we take in college.

Enjoy your youth, there is plenty of time to be an adult.