Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Growing wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DonnaMaindrault, Oct 14, 2003.

1. My father is planting 200 acres of pine in the "piney woods" part of East Texas for my kids to harvest in 30 years. Ash also grows there naturally--apparently he's selling it for "hardwood pulp and paneling."

I asked him if he could grow something more interesting, and he said sure. What exciting, lovely guitar wood might do well there?

-Donna

2. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Mesquite?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Get some data from the forest department on what naturally grows in your area. Mesquite is certainly one tree that comes to mind. Not sure what else thrives there, but I am sure there are lots of interesting species.

You might also check with the Arbor Day Foundation. I'm sure they would know what is native to your area, and I'm sure they could help you a great deal in what is a sure to be a great endeavor.

5. Mesquite? Goodness. My father just loves to see a sick mesquite tree because as soon as it dies he can cut it down and chop it up for the smoker. I don't think he ever considered planting them!

-Donna

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works