Growl emulator/emulation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Is there any way in which I can emulate that...Rickenbacker type growl without having to go buy a Ric? For the 6th thru 8th grade production that my band is playing live music for, there's this one bass underscore that's just BEGGING to growl like a Ric. Is there any way I'd be able to use my SR 405 to emulate that growl? I can sorta get a growl-ish sound out of my Fender, but it's too muddy, and you can't hear it too well. I can get it to sound much clearer on my Ibanez, but it doesn't have that growling feel to it.
    Or would it just be best if I used my Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive pedal with minimal overdrive to make it sound like that?
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Try using steel roundwounds (Rotosound), use both pups, treble full on, play hard with a heavy pick close to the bridge, and set the action as low as you can get without serious buzzing. Ric growl doesn't come from pups being hot, so overdrive won't do it. The above works on my G&L2500
  3. Hmmm...well, I recently restrung my 5, so I'm not so keen on the restringing part. But the rest of it sounded...semi-growly, so I guess it'll have to do. I think I might test the overdrive before our next rehearsal, in case I like the sound. :D

Thanks, though. :)