Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Growl? Grind? Punch? You decide!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hugh Jazz, May 1, 2002.

1. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    These terms are all used very very frequently, but each of them means something different from one person to the next.

So I was hoping we could get a thread going where we'd all give an example (either list the song or share an audio clip) of what we think "growl," "grind," "punch," etc. are.

I was trying to debate where to post this in here or miscellaneous, but I stuck with recordings hoping that people would actually talk about/provide specific recordings to prove their point.

So yeah, let's start this thread:

What is growl? Discuss and provide examples. (I love final exams! :mad: )

:D

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Another expression I've often read is "percolating" bass, though that may refer more to the actual bassline than the tone of the bass itself.

Anyhoo, I like your idea. I just need time to think about it and suggest some songs that I think describe the tones in question. I'm fond of grinding and growling tone myself. I think these are most likely to be found in heavy metal music, especially the tuned down variety. They are least likely to be found in pop and country music.

Jason Newsted's bass positively grinds in the song "The Outlaw Torn" on the "Load" album. I think I read that was due to an effect he used plus the bass was tuned down one half step.

3. I would say that the "growl" of a bass is basically down-tuned and distorted with pretty much little high end.
    Newstead is a good expample. But let's get a little more older shall we? Two names: Geezer Butler and Cliff Burton. I dare label them the "gods of the growl"

Cliff Burton's growl can be heard on the Kill'em All album, Anestesia of course being the best.

Geezer Butler- NIB that's all I've got to say.

4. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Cliff Burton used a distortion pedal for that effect in Anesthesia. Now I don't know about I see a large difference between growl and distortion. I see that differently because I listen to Metallica quite often and if you listen neither Cliff or Jason have a much of a growly tone. Though if you had to pick which had more I would choose Jason. Definetly not the kind of growl you get from any Fender jazz bass(on the Fender note, Jason does have a '52? P-bass). They have a tone thats heading the ways of Fieldy, meaning little mids. Like the tone you hear in Orion. Theres no growl in that. But then in Enter Sandman you will hear a more growly type tone with some more mids. I'm pulling out all 7 of my Metallica cd's for this. KEA, RTL, MOP, AJFA, Black, Load, and Reload. Ok when I listen to Cliff. As we all know he has bad tone. If I remember correctly he used an ESP bass but I definetly cannot verify that. But he has a sound that reminds me of a soundgear. Cliff, like Jason though both having a different sound both seem to cut out mids in large amounts. If you want a good idea of Jasons typical tone, listen to Of Wolf and Man. Its got more of a grindy feel not a jazzy growl. Jason does use a bass overdrive pedal(Boss OD-3). That can be heard very distinctly in Devils Dance on Reload. He also has a Boss flanger and a chorus I believe. Theres a tab book out there somewhere with both Cliffs equipment(he only used a distortion and a wah) and Jasons. Which is where I'm trying to remember this from. If you want another idea of Jasons tone listen to My Friend of Misery. Cliffs tone is very prominent in Master of Puppets, more than any other album. But it can be heard nicely in the intro to Escape(Ride the Lightning). Seek and Destroy also has a prominent has a prominent tone throught the whole song. I listened to Outlaw Torn. And in my opinion that is definetly nowhere near grind or growl. The only thing near is the part at around 5:50 when he's doing the odd chorus/wah(thats a guess) part. But anyway thats all I got for now. I would like to hear other opinoins and all. Sorry if your offended. Which you shouldn't be. But some people are just that way.

$.02

Matt.

5. Example of growl - hear mp3 below.

($.03)

6. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    X, now that's some serious growl. :eek:

I, myself, prefer more grind. High mids + deep lows and low-mids.

Eg. Tool - Sober, but think of it played fingerstyle (a little less treble and a deeper sound). That is what I love.

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Growl-"Roundabout" by Yes, "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple
    Grind-"Spoonman" by Soundgarden,"Would" by Alice in Chains
    Punch-"Higher Ground" by R.H.C.P., "Hot Fun" by Stanley Clarke

8. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    :eek: excellent call on that one!!! :cool:

9. Growl: RHCP - Suck My Kiss
    Grind: Rush - Vital Signs
    Punch: Jamiroquai - Cosmic Girl
    and...
    Clank: Long Distance Runaround...I'd say Roundabout but that's overdubbed with a g****r!

Discuss? Why discuss? I'm obviously right :p

Of course there are variations on each of these sounds, but in my experience, these are the best examples of each.

--jeff

10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Sweet.

I guess part 2 of this thread is to discuss how the EQ settings apply to each of these. It could be a new thread, but I'd prefer to keep these together so that we have a list of recordings to go along for reference.

:)

11. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    WRONG sir, WRONG!! you STOLE fizzy lifting drinks... er, nevermind...

anyway, Cliff used a Ric

12. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    He used Rics and Arias.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    A good definition of growl, grind, and punch IMHO is Eddie Jackson on Operation Mindcrime.

14. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Ahh yes now I remember. But I also figured out where I got the ESP. I remember back from the last time I saw Metallica's behind the music. It was the audition after Cliff died. Jason was obviously there, and I now remember a pic of him holding an ESP bass. By the way I don't get that whole fizzy drink thing. Went right over my head.

15. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    man, if you haven't seen Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, you were officially robbed of your childhood.... i DEMAND you see it :)