growl please!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Feb 4, 2002.

1. I need thump, growl, mean, deadly, it sounds like a huge dog, no effects but it sound like it, big burly tone. Does anyone want to help me out on what basses you think have the scratchiest raw noise. I meen bass growl that sounds like there is a crunch pedal on it. And if not. Then how the hell do people get that sound.
  2. uh ? what kind of sound are we talking about ?
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    A jazz bass has some mean growl to it. My Ray 5 has IMO a wonderfull bass growl.. :). There are many basses that will give you the sound you are looking for. a bass with p MM style pickups will probably give you some good sounds :)
  4. I think my Musicman Sterling growls! It has been particularly noticeable since I upgraded to an Eden 4 x 10 cab. What a sound! :)

I've just bought a Fender jazz. To me this is a very mellow rounded sound, not a bit growly, but very nice too!
  5. I second the MM Stingray 5.
    The best sounding low B I've played.
  6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    See that bass in my avatar to the left, well that's one growl-n-mo-fo.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you want growl, you want warwick.

8. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I agree with Warwick5S
    I love my Warwick Thumb BO 5.
    Best tone IMO
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Great nominations so far. I'll add Modulus and Ken Smith.

Entwistle got fantastic growl-of-doom from his Alembics. He was the Balrog!

Also: my ash-body Lull P-5 gives good growl even without using the bridge pup. :cool:
  10. WAL!

Listen to RHCP's "Suck My Kiss".

That's a Wal.

It doesn't growl, it roars!

11. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I have fun occasionally (honest!) by slappin' on - I mean
    installing - a set of DR Longnecks on the Franken-Yammer
    (with the hot hot hot DiMarzio Split P) and runnin' the whole
    mess through a Mesa D-180 :)...plug into Channel 1 (on 10),
    Graphic EQ switched-in on "Risky Business" setting, cascaded
    into Channel 2 (7 or 8), and finally into Master at 5 or 6. Feed
    the speaker out into an SWR 2x10T.

Poor li'l cab doesn't know whether to spit, fart, growl, keep
    crunchin', or just explode :D. A useful tone I guess for "Anesthesia".
  12. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Another one for Wal.

I wish there was something cheaper than a Wal that growled as much, but I haven't found anything.

A Flea Bass, maybe.
  13. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Oh yeah, Tony Kanal's Yamaha in "Spiderwebs" is probably the closest to a Wal's growl I've heard. Which is amazing coming from a passive PJ bass.
  14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    sometimes growl is more a matter of amp than a matter of bass. not always, but sometimes a big and good amp will help you a lot. you'd better starting to mess around with amps too.
  15. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    IMHO, amps have only a little to do with growl. Amps can a little bit of growl, but they won't generate a ton of snarly growl. In the end it's all up to the bass.
  16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I had an Fbass BN5 Studio that I sold because it had too much growl and not enough thump.
  17. Just pulled out my sister's copy of Tragic Kingdom -- very impressive growl! Makes me rethink what I'm gonna buy until I can afford a Wal...

I doubt the Yamaha can match a Wal in punch - Wals have an INCREDIBLY powerful bottom end, every note hits you HARD, and there's tons of body and authority in the sound even as you go up the fretboard.