"Growl" settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Oct 11, 2004.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR

First off, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. This seemed most appropriate to me, but if it is incorrect please let me know.

So here's my issue- I have tried a few different distortion/overdrive boxes and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I have a Fulltone Bassdrive, a Sansamp RBI, and the distortion channel on my Fender 300 Pro and they all give me a similar distortion but not exactly what I'm looking for. They all have a fuzzy distortion rather than a growly distortion. I'm not sure if that makes sense... the sound I'm looking for is similar to that of Tim's bass tone on the Rage Against the Machine album Evil Empire or the bassist from Chevelle on the song Vitamin R on their newest CD. I don't want that exact tone, but those are the closest tones to what I'm hearing in my head.
    So the reason I put this in "Amps" is because I think it might have something to do with my amp settings, perhaps the mid's need to be boosted or cut in certain areas and this is where I need help. I don't want a lot of distortion, just enough to give it a good growl but keep a heavy low-end and not lose too much clarity.
    If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it as EQing is still pretty difficult for me. Thanks a lot!!!

2. if you play a stingray, as indicated by your name, play closer to the bridge and boost around 600 hz. If you play a bass with 2 pickups, do that and solo the bridge pickup.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm listening to that Chevelle track (firm believer that if they went back and got Steve Albini to produce again, like on Point #1, they'd rock socks), and that's not so much a distortion or anything, as it is a fairly typical SVT + Stingray sound. It's an aggro amp sound with a bass made for grinding tones.

I don't listen to RATM, so I can't comment on Tim's tone.

4. Try an upper mid boost, in the 700-900Hz range. I'm not sure if you have a parametric EQ anywhere in your signal chain, but that always brings out the growl for me. BTW, I have that new Chevelle album and the bass tone sounds huge... it fills out the sound of the band very nicely. It does sound (to me at least) like there's some kind of distortion in use, as it reminds me a lot of Tim C's Audioslave tone.
  5. You aint going to get a Ray to Growl. Period. If it aint growling unplugged, don't expect effects to band-aid that. Rays have their stongpoint, like cutting through the mix and being funky. But a cheap, mex J-bass or P-bass will smoke a ray in the growl dept, in my humble opinion.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's some eq info you might find helpful.........

eq thread
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Is their new album pretty good? I liked what I heard off of their previous record, pretty good for nu-metal.
  8. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm gonna mess with the ray tonight and see what I can do. I recorded DI on my bands preproduction tracks with the ray and it got a good growl... I just need to find that tone live. I have a Lakland Skyline JO5 as my other main bass so I'll just mess with the bridge pickup on that. Either way, Chevelle's bassist has a sick tone on that album. Thanks again for all the help!!

9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Still not as good as Point #1 (the sound and songs that should have made them famous), but it's better than the last one, whichever that was. Still produced as hell sounding, but it rocks a little harder.
  10. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR

Thanks for the link to that EQ thread. I read that once before and I was meaning to search for it and you made it much easier on me. Thanks!

I do like Chevelle's new CD a lot. Good production. The bass sounds HUGE! Point#1 did rock out. I'm not much a fan of nu-metal, but these guys are definately good. At least they haven't jumped on to the multiple bandwagons that have made their way through the genre lately.. i.e. rap-rock.
  11. Do you change your strings often? Perhaps that would give you more growl and less round warmth.
  12. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Here are my settings which I use to get the Jaco growl:
    -Fender Jaco Pastorius model w/ Rotosounds. Bridge pickup and tone at zero.
    -EBS HD350 and Ashdown ABM 4*10" cab.
    - bass 8
    middle 12
    middle freq. 400 hz
    treble 5
    drive 5

And sounds damn good!
  13. CeroFrio

Mar 23, 2004
    I find that with different bass and amp set ups, the specific EQ and levels differ to get a good disortion from your bass. You seem to be a pedal man. I am too. I've gotten the best distorted sounds from electric guitar overdrive/distortion pedals: Boss DS-1, EH Bigg Muff, Ibanez TS-808, TS-9 and TS-9 Deluxe. Though it's smart to use bass-specific pedals for most situations, I think distortion pedals are the exception.

I sometimes use an octave pedal along with my distortion pedal(s) to get a really low, almost guttural sounding growl. With this, you should only play the high notes, and probably have to roll the Tone control on your amp, bass and pedals pretty low.

Only you know what sound you want, and you might find it with the current set up you have now. But see if you can borrow a guitarist freind's distortion pedal for a few days, and really mess around with it. You might find what you're looking for.
  14. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

You can also top that with any G&L MFD pick up!