Growl with a P Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lilvampboyx, Sep 19, 2005.

1. lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    I thought you only can really get a good growl with either a jazz pickup or a musicman-like pickup
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've definately got Precision's to growl. Stock '78 Precision pickup on many occasions and my Dimarzio Model P loaded Ibanez Soundgear.
  3. Plucking agressively between the Bridge and Neck PUP's may help.
  4. I find that the most significant contributor to the elusive "growl" is the EQ settings...not the pickup...

I once tried a spector through two different amps and it sounded COMPLETELY different between the two. One of the amps is was clean with no characteristic growl (not spector-like at all)...the other one had heaps of grrrrrrrrrr...
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Precisions can definitely growl, but like many tonal characteristics this depends on technique, pickup, strings, amp, and cab. Some will certainly growl more easily than others, and I think the DiMarzio Model P is especially growly as P pickups go. My SD Hot for P-bass is warmer, but also smoother and less growly, but I'm on a search for strings to maximize growl with this p'up.