Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

growl

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mosmute, Sep 6, 2002.

1. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    if i were to want a more growly/possibly distorted effect? what kind of pedal should i look into?

2. A BOSS ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, with perhaps a phaser before or behind it.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Using a Boss ODB-3 for more growl is like using a chainsaw to trim your nails.

For more growl use a good EQ. You may already have what you need, or you may have to purchase one. Adding some mids can help. Try boosting some of the frequencies between 250 and 2k. Which ones you boost will have different growl sounds, from deep, lion-like growl, to the sound of dropping eggs in a hot pan.

4. You're point being ? :D

Maybe you're right, I probably have growl confused with noise. :p

But I stick to my statement of using a phaser.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No way I'd run a phaser on my sound all the time just trying to keep a good growl in my tone. If thats your oly resort, then you have some serious equipment problems. Take that in a session and you'll be seeing the door jiffy quick.

Get a good EQ and/or preamp, and concentrate on a good, growly basic tone. You can always kick in effects for some perioidic cheese, but don't use effects to compensate for lack of a basic good tone.

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Amen, brother!!

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    growl is usually an attribute that is inherent in your instrument...using an eq to make it more apparent would probably be the best way to go

8. Go grab a Big Muff PI pedal, the Russian made models are just as good but cheaper, nice wooden box too.That is of course if you can't get your hands on a vintage SVT.
    I've got growl to spare on my old SVT especially when you crank midranges. I did use a Boss ODB-3 for periodic cheese as someone put it, just to hit accents and pretend I'm a guitar for a cupla seconds but the sound is way too trashy to use for long periods of time.

9. For great growl, I either step on this:
    [​IMG]

or I step on this:

[​IMG]

10. Jazz bass with a hint of overdrive, boost mids, play over bridge pup, 10's or 12's are better speakers then 15's for this

This is all IMO

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    if you love your preamp now.. you can get an SWR IOD preamp and use it as an effect rack.. or you can just make it your new preamp... because with a slight edge on gain.. you have a growly beast

12. Are you telling us that you have a defenseless wolf chained to your setup onstage?!? :mad: :D j/k

I aggree with Donne, the Fulltone Bassdrive is the fattest overdrive in a floor box. Nice growlie lows and boomy upper-lows (low-mids) and mids. Very sweet tone.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I prefer P-bass growl myself.

I think both suggestions are good: an EQ brings out natural growl, and an overdrive box gives dirty growl.

14. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    expanding on the 'get a good eq' to bring out natural growl. A parametric eq would be best. What you could then do is turn up the level on the eq, then sweep the freq control until you find the 'sweet spot' that brings out the growl. parametric's are also great for cleaning up a muddy tone.
    The Yamaha NE-1 Nathan East Parametric EQ should do the trick.

I have a parametric in my amp, and playing a thumb BO, I sometimes find it necessay to 'turn down' the growl, so as to tame it for more easy going tunes.

15. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Whats wrong with that? The more the BETTER!

But all you gotta do is not put gain way up and you'll be fine.

buy it only if you have not enough money for something better (which not all of us do, believe it or not)

16. hello... if yuo choose to go for the boss odb-3 bass overdrive pedal.. i have one for sale/trade..
    if interested, reply back to krueger_erik@hotmail.com

thank you
    erik

17. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    DOD Death Metal !!!!! Stet the bass all the way, the mid 1/4 of the way, and the high all the way up!!! oh ya.... also a Rat!!! but for real growl put the rat before the death metal.... good stuffin...

Alex

18. Remember, growl is NOT distortion

Distortion pedals don't add growl, it adds noise.

19. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ya I guess your are right... I was a little hot off the coller on that one.... but you can get a half decent growl with the rat... with using the filter knob.... and a lot of volume..... sorry :rolleyes:

20. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    A BOSS ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, with perhaps a phaser before or behind it.

I'd love to know how you set your ODB3 up to growl?

In my opinion the only way to growl is to use the bass and amp. Drive the amp a bit and add lower mids.

I like the P-bass growl myself :)