Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ichi9, Oct 9, 2000.

1. Ichi9

Jun 7, 2000

Which will give me that warm growl tone? GK, Ampeg, Eden, Hartke, SWR?
  2. JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    HI Ichi,

In my humble opinion you won't get the growl out of any of these amps if your bass is not producing it.

I started looking for the "max growl", but could not find it pumping up and down my SWR Redhead with Basic2Way. the bass I used was not able to do it (the '79 JB itself plays and sounds as one sweet suberb JB and never trade it - the "max JB growl" is there).
    Then one beautiful Saturday I was walking around the city with my wife and son. I broke lose for 15 minutes and went to a music shop near by. They had a 50% off sale. I saw this 5 str. red Squier ProTone and tried it - ZAP, this has the acoustic growl and plugged it to H&K. WOW - I had to buy it. You can imagine how pleased my wife was me carrying a bass that day. I tested the bass with SWR and there the growl was immediately.

Get a bass that gives you the wanted growl and you will be able to get it thru your amps too.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That simply is an impossible question to answer, especially since we don't know what kind of bass you play. Please fill in your profile!

Then, take your bass into different stores and try out each amp with your bass. That'll give you your answer.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm with Jerry.`The growl will come from your bass. As for warm you can't go wrong with Eden.
  5. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    It depends on a lot of things. Your bass, pickups, etc.

If you want maximum growl, a Fender J-bass (with bridge pick-up soloed) or a Music Man powered by an Eden amp (with the Enhancer set at zero) would be the answer.
  6. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    There is another problem, why this question is hard to answer: What do YOU mean by growl?
    I play both a Fender J and a Stingray, wich both have a kind of growl as Phil said. But only the Stingray gives me the growl I've been looking for.

BTW I've had a Hartke for some years and I would not call it warm sounding at all.