Growlier Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AstralTraveler, Aug 13, 2004.

1. AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    I'm kinda in the process of selling my 96' maple neck p-bass to a cousin in Tenn, but it'll be a month or two before with hook up. I'm really hooked on maple neck Fender Jazz's and I have a few questions...

*any suggestions for super cutting, growly, punchy pickups?

*what strings for the above? I was thinking maybe those Rotosound Piano bass strings? Anyone tried em? What did you think?
  2. well its just a suggestion but if youre going for growl maybe think about getting a warwick.
  3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Good idea on the Rotosounds, but I've tried dozens and dozens of sets of both the Piano String Design, and the
    regular RS66 set sounds better to my ears....More low end
    girth and midrange honk.... Something to do with more mass
    across the bridge saddle, me thinks..

4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups are great for growl, try the Ken Smith strings or Vinci Stainless. I used to use the Roto's, but after 6 straight packs with dead E's and A's, I gave them up. Vinci's are cheap, and I get good life out of them. Also, you may want to try a .022mfd cap on the tone pot instead of the stock .047mfd. I did that to a Jazz once and it was pretty cool. Good luck on your quest for tone!
  5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If you don't mind routing I'd get Glenn McDougal to send you a set of ZP9B's. If you want passives as hot as actives with huge growl they would be the pickups for you.
  6. I was pokin around harmony-central and stumbled onto <a href="">this site</a> in a review for Lindy Fralin pickups. It has a ton of soundclips using various onboard pre's and pickup configs. Dunno...just thought it might be of some help. :D :bassist:
  7. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    For strings, I would use Rotosound Nickel Swingbasses. They work great on a fretless Jaco-model, and are the best strings that I've tested so far.
  8. "Growl" is all relative, but by my definition I wanted the same kind of "bite" and tonal qualities that Geddy Lee pulls off so readily...(I have an early 70's Jazz, w/ Maple neck as well) the risk of being a copycat...I tried Ged's formula and installed a Badass Bridge and use Rotosound Swing Bass 66 strings: .105 - .45 and am very pleased with the results.
    Best of luck in your quest!