1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Growliest Non-JBass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xsogol, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Hi All,

I love my J-style single coils and they are growly, however, my dual coil Bartolini MK1's in my Ibanez SR506 (specifically in the brindge position...go fig :rolleyes: ) are growly too....this begs the question, what other non-J, non-single coil pickups are growly?

Also, if you throw any pickup close to a high-mass bridge, does it growl like a beast? Please give me your input...thanks everyone!!! :bassist:

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    G&L Magnetic Field Design humbucker. Very growly, especially in the "sweet spot" as on the L-1500.

DiMarzio Model P. Lots of growl and grind for a P-bass pickup.

3. I also hear a distinct growl in Rickenbackers, though I'm not very familiar with their pickups.

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

i think they are single coil "toaster" style pickups.

im pretty sure they are used exclusivly in rickenbackers. Seymour duncan make replacements

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    G&L MFDs definitely growl. My L-1500 growls but does not sound like a single coil.

Dave

6. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Rickenbacker single coils are quite growly.

The thing is, there are four different kinds. There are toasters (neck pickup), horseshoes (bridge), neck hi-gain, and bridge hi-gain. The toasters are NOT growly, unless you really really push them. They're more clean and deep. The horseshoes are quite trebly and growly.

The hi-gains, which are what are typically used in their 4001/4003 basses, are extremely growly, though can be tamed by using flatwound strings. The neck, I believe, is a regular single coil, while I think the bridge hi-gain is a split coil similar to a p-bass, but in a housing similar to the neck hi-gain. The bridge one is much more trebly, but if you placed a neck hi-gain in the bridge position, you could get a fairly similar tone. The thing is that the neck and bridge ones take up different amounts of space . . . but yeah. Rickenbacker pickups, for the most part, growl like no other.