Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Growliest vintage Jazz combo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dwjazz54, Apr 26, 2004.

1. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    What would you say is the wood combination that would offer the most growl/punch in a vintage Fender Jazz Bass, namely the ones from the first half of the 60s? I suppose the only real choices are alder or ash for the body, and rosewood or maple for the fingerboard. I'm looking for a great passive fingerstyle tone, as slapping would be done on a different bass with an ash/maple/active electronics combo. Plus, if different PUs would help, one could always replace the stock ones and hold on to them for safekeeping, correct (and what PUs would you recommend)?

Thanks in advance...

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been playing every J-style bass I can get my hands on, Fender and otherwise, as I'm also in the market. I've learned a bit about the different configurations.

l say Alder/Maple/Rosewood. That's what I'm looking for. The Alder is pleasantly lighter than the Ash, and has a nice resonance to it. The Rosewood fingerboard is a little less "bite-y" than the maple, yields a throaty "vroom" sound w/ that deep undertone. Very old school. I would imagine choice of strings would be key, too, for the tone your after.

If you can get a vintage J-bass w/ actual vintage USA Fender p/u's, keep 'em.

3. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    BUMP!

4. I'm going to third the alder/rosewood nomination. I played a bunch of Jazz basses back in February, and the alder/rosewood combo gave the most convincing old school-type vibe. All the basses has roundwounds on them, but about a month ago I put a set of LaBella deep talkin' bass strings (flatwounds) on my Stingray, and they gave my 'Ray an almost vintage sound; on a Jazz bass, you'd be right there.

Mike ;)

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

any reason these would hum any more than stock pickups (all else being equal)? The alder/rosewood combination with SD Antiq2 are what I was looking at doing to a hwy1

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Alder maple rosewood. I had a kind of old MIM jazz like this, loved the tone, just didnt like how it played.

7. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Have you ever looked at the Suhr J Basses? If not, I would certainly find one to try out, you won't be dissapointed. For a month now, I have had a Suhr J bass with Ash body, Maple neck/Birdseye Maple fb and it is passive with stacked vol/tone controls, by far the best J Bass I have played to date.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    You are right but Suhr also makes the Alder body, Maple neck/Rosewood fb which would make it a 60's.

Here is the link: http://www.suhrguitars.com/
    Click on "Guitars" and then "Basses"

9. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    nice, but I think I would rather pay for 2 basses from Nino that 1 of those. Not that they aren't good, just expensive for a jazz.