Growling, gritty distorion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Hi, before I start let me say I have looked through the Distortion Mega-Thread and searched for my answer but have not found anything.

I'm looking for a growly bass distortion, up till now I have been using a Big Muff for distortion and using a seperate amp to keep the low end. However this sound isn't what I want out of a bass distortion.

To get my deep, growly tone I have been recomended using the Marshal Gov'nor, and the DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp.
    I'm also looking at trying out the Digitech Bass driver and the DOD Bass Overdrive.

The sound I am looking for is like that of Timmy.C of Rage on Renegades and Battle of LA, I know he is secretive about his gear, but he has used a Marshal Gov'nor, does anyone have one of these or are there any soundclips avaiable?
    Songs like Testify, How I Could Just Kill a Man and Ghost of Tom Joad - thats the bass sound I want!

Thanks for any help :bassist:
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I read in Bass Player that he made his distortion box himself out od parts from an old wah pedal. I can't remember what song it was, but his tone sounded buzzy with a touch of wah (which would make sense). As far as the Digitech Bass Driver goes, it works pretty well for most things, but I found that a Danelectro Fab-Tone works wonders on bass.... not really Timmy C. material, but pretty cool anyway.
  3. Would it help to have an active bass when trying to get this growl?
  4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Dont know about the active bass suggestion - I think Timmy's Fenders are passive???

But try a Ibanez PD-7 Phat Hed. Gets pretty close on the overdrive mode, with the bass knob at 3 o'clock, the treble at 10 o'clock, the gain at 3 o'clock, and the attack switch in the off position. Plus it's not an expensive pedal. About $60 new, $30-40 used.

I just bought one (again) from a TBer. I was missing mine a lot, and had to reaquire one.
  5. What sorta sound does the DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp make? I was thinking of building one into a jazz bass copy I have - wise or not?
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's a pedal, not an onboard preamp.

Your sound is such a personal thing, I can't tell you what you'll like. There are a number of good/great od pedals out there - ebs multidrive, voodoo labs sparkledrive, fulltone bassdrive, dredgetone angler, barber deep fryer, bjf blueberry bass od. I've tried all of those, they were all very good pedals but only some of them got the sound *I* wanted. You might have opposite experience to me.

What's your budget? That's important.
  7. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    You can get a really gritty sound out of a boss bass overdrive. It helps to shape the tone just right on the way in too, probably with bridge pickup only...

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sounds pretty radical, but I can think of one definate advantage - that being that if you shielded all the cavities well, and ran shielded cable everywhere before the circuit board, I'd think it would be much less noisy than running the effect at the end of yards of cable. I guess the big noise source then would be if the pickup wasn't a humbucker.

Hmm... While we're being radical about it: If you were only planning on running one of the two pickups for your sound, and especially if they're the same pickup (I don't know; are the neck/bridge pickups electrically different on a Jazz? Even if not, maybe they ARE the same on a cheap copy!) you could disable one of the pickups by de-magnetizing it - or removing the magnet and replacing it with non-magnetic steel (I think you'd still want the ferrous metal in there so the inductances would be the same). Then you could use the disabled one as a hum-bucking element (like the 'dummy pickup' on some high-end basses like Alembic). This could possibly achieve a nearly noiseless distortion tone! The input to the distortion board is probably high-impedance, so you could probably go series on the coil interconnection...

..OK - now you have an extra pot on the control panel that you don't need, so you could replace it with one of the distortion controls.

Hmm. Now I wish I had an extra bass laying around.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Active basses in my experience dont always work so well with overdrives and effects.

Most effects prefer passive basses though some dont care either way.

I prefer the Pro-Co Rat kind of distortion but I think thats not really what you are looking for. From what Ive heard Tim uses basses with overwound pickups (more output) and modified effects units.
  10. yeah. I really hate how active basses react with overdrives (the other way around actually...sorry) and I also despise that BOSS Bass Overdrive. Sorry Troll, just my opinion.

I love Tubescreamers. I like Big Muff Overdrives. I use them often, as well as a Ibanez Phathed. The Phathed really does get close to the Tim thing...

I also have a Royal Fuzz Wah (this thing is ancient) and that gets some cool octave-y wah effect in too. Who knows?