Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

growly aggressive bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, May 14, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i am looking for a growly bass. what exactly makes a bass growly? is it the pickups? wood? electrionics? i have a flea bass and a stingray but im wanting something different. i really like that growly sound of flea's wal bass on bssm, but wal's are too expensive, i also like dirk lance's tone on the science album. can anyone reccomend something (besides fender) that costs around $1000 new or used that fits the bill?

sorry if im being too general. just anything growly and thick sounding.

2. Growl; Adj.
    Definition: Warwick.

3. a warwick thumb. that will give you a whole lotta growl. on science, dirk lance used a warwick streamer stage 1 or 2. so if you want growl, warwick is the way to go. there are always plenty of them on ebay.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Spector Czech. The Warwick thumb wants to be this bass. ;)

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Pleanty of'em on ebay, hmmm wonder why?

6. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Warwick Thumb or Corvette ....

7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Much agreed!

Spector Czech is just as heavy in weight, but they sound more growly to my ears.

Go try, try, try before you buy. Just because a famous musician plays a bass doesn't mean its right for you and "your sound". Everyone has got their own definition of growl.

It's more of a matter of what kind of sliding, phat tones one can get out of a bass to me. Maybe with a tinge of treble for a slick slide synth like tone. Zon Sonus (used), Pedulla, or a Fender Jazz are good picks IMO.

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Warwick thumb all the way baby!!!

9. warwick streamer+ new strings= tiger bite

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can say that the Bongo with dual humbucker sounds very Wal'ish.

Has the cutting tone of the stingray, but the neck hb gives it extra oomph to shake the foundations.

With the stingray and flea, both are humbuckers wired in parallel (rather than the default which is series). Pickups wired in series have more mids, and a more growly tone. You could maybe do a series/parallel mod to one of your existing basses? That would mean buying a new pickup and getting some wiring work done, but it's relatively simple.

11. I recommend getting a bass w/ both bridge and neck pickups... THe bridge pickup is gonna give you your growl, but I've found that also having the neck pickup really give some snarly bottom end to bridge pickups. Just put the blend a little bit towards the bridge and you're set!

12. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    Yeah i might try this since i love the stingray feel.

I'm gonna have to try the Warwick Corvette and the Czechtor.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

13. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Good point. I was just about to reccomend a fretless. I guess what I consider growl you guys call "mwaaaah" around here, right? :confused:

14. ejsagun

ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    take any 2 pickup bass. like a jazz bass then perform a series parallel mod on it. Series mode gives you a lot of growl specially finger style. plus it lets you have other tone options as well

if you dont want to use a jbass, find something with passive pickups. i dont think you can do this mod on active pickups.

try it!

15. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Fender Mark Hoppus!

[​IMG]

:D

16. :eek: maybe it is because everyone wants the share the greatness that is warwick :p

17. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    G&L L-2500 or L-2000. Very growly, very thick. Exceptionally strong low-mid presence.

18. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    G&L

Very deep and growly. Look no futher

19. Yaw

Yaw

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned the T-Bird yet... :bassist:

20. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm gonna say either the G&L or the Spector Czech, both great basses, lots of growl too. The Spector Czech sounds a bit too active to me, but still sounds great, you can't really lose with either though.