growly bass sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phunky345, Apr 5, 2001.

1. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I've been trying and trying on a yamaha rbx 765a to get that throaty bass sound similar to that of Justing Chancellor of Tool, and it's always kinda dampened. When I turn up the treble boost on my bass it just hisses.
    I play through an Ampeg b-2r (which may be the problem) and a hartke 410 cab. Is it my lack of tubes?
    If so, does anyone think that getting a tube preamp like a svp-pro would help me?
    Advice please! I'm sick of sounding boring.
  2. I'm not and expert on yamaha's but I've heard that their active pickups do hiss, you might wanna use that money for the preamp and buy some good emgs.
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    It's sounds like you're going for more of an upper-mids sound than pure treble. Maybe you can get it with your EQ...
  4. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Perhaps its your pickups. Some pickups will give you growl others won't.
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Im not familiar with JC of tool or that particular yamaha.But if you want throaty growl forget treble.Try bass/mids!Less treb and turning down/off the horn(if possible)on the amp will reduce the hiss.Of course,the strings your using have alot to do with growl as well.Good luck!
  6. Some basses just growl more than others. I have a Warwick Streamer Standard and that thing growls like a pit bull. Maybe a little distortion would help.
  7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The way I get growl is with nickel roundwounds (so it's not TOO treble-y), boost 800 - 1000 Hz at the amp (I have a sweepable midrange knob), and the piece de resistance is a Tech 21 Acoustic DI. This thing only overdrives on the midrange knob, so I set it for 800 hz and boost it about 6dB or so. I urge you to try one out. A lot has been written here about the Bass DI, but it overdrives on the whole spectrum and does NOT have the sweepable mid like the Acoustic does.

Try a BAss DI or a Blue Tube bass overdrive unit at the same time if you can. It will show you the difference between full-range overdrive and the selective mid overdrive of the Acoustic DI. Then you'll know for sure which one you want!
  8. Try thinner strings. Worked for me.