Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

growly bass with fat lows

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aenema, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    lookin for a bass that has huge low end and a deep growl. 75 fender jazz's sound pretty good. have any suggestions? my cirrus tigers eye is awsome for slapping and tapping but the warm lows just arent there for the grooves.

2. growly bass with fat lows?
    that description will always make me think warwick.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

That pretty much defines the Fender Roscoe Beck, especially when strung with TI flats.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nothing growls like a SPECTOR!

5. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I just got a Geddy Lee jazz and it is very growly (is that a word???)

I am getting the tool undertow tone now and it's nice-eee-nice!

I highly recommend it.

6. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i use to have an american fender jazz. thru an all tube amp it souned very similar to that undertow tone your talkin about. not quite growly or rumbly enough for me. have you heard chevelle or deftones? they got a real thumping growl goin. i know deftones bass player uses a new pbass deluxe and some vintage jazz basses thru hughs n kettner svt something or other. not quite sure what chevelle uses. anyone know?

7. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Try a Modulus

8. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Not sure about what the Chevelle bassist plays. Chi Cheng (Deftones) plays a hot rodded p-bass also doesn't he?

9. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    chi (deftines bass player) plays a '57 Deluxe Bass Jazz and Precision Reissues 2x. just looked it up. whats a p reissue 2x? anyone had experience with a 57 jazz?

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My Jazz growls. With TI Flats it is really warm and grooves well.

Dan

11. The fact that almost every bass mentioned here so far is from a different manfacturer makes it obvious IMO that most basses can get great growl under the right EQ and effects.

I am with dancehallclasher on this one, though. Although sometimes they can lack lows IME, Warwicks are synonomous with growl in my book.

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    G&L L-2000 (especially in series mode)

13. Amen

14. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Try a warwick thumb. Most growly bass I've ever tried. Blows away both my jazz basses. It has awsome lows as well.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you can find a used Mike Lull and try it.....check it out!
    I have a few nice basses but the Lull has growl and a very nice low end........if you want a passive bass, as somebody mentioned before the Roscoe Beck bass can be had pretty cheap in the used market, and is a great bass! One other thing....growl can be had from a lot of basses if you
    play it a lot and know where to dig in...just my two pennies;)

16. To further my earlier post, Jason Newsted himself (Ex-Metallica bassist) says Spectors have a "Nice growl".

;)

17. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    The bassist from Chevelle plays Stingrays.

18. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Warwick basses NOT ONLY growl, THEY BITE! you need a leash and muzzel if you plan on walking that dog! they have a VERY tight B string! ALL THUMBS UP!
    HOLLA IF YA HEAR ME;)

19. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    the geddy lee jazz with ernie ball hybrids is fat and has great growl.

20. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I agree, i have a Vintage Jazz w/ Barts and it can be warm and soothing or growl like a junk yard dog OR both! Lots of variation in tone.