1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Growly deep bass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Llama Rrama, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Llama Rrama

Llama Rrama

Dec 10, 2018
    To start off, I've been playing for a little over 6 months and don't know very much about how to make my playing really sound good. I play a lot of funk rock like RHCP and really anything with a heavy bassline.
    I'm looking for a sort of throaty and deep growly bass tone, similar to that of Daft Punk, especially in "Get Lucky".

"Your Great Name" by Todd Dulaney also has the deep tone I'm thinking of, but the latter would definitely be more of my focus.

Is it more in the bass, the strings, the gauge, the amp, pedals, EQ, or am I missing the bigger picture?
    I am originally a guitarist but found that the bass just sucks me in with the power depth of the sound.
    I play an Ibanez sr505 with Fat Beams, so if possible maybe we could start there? Thanks for the help.

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Llama Rrama :)

Nathan East :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Nathan East played the bass on this track! (he is one of the best payed bassplayers on this planet :D)

He is the "bigger" picture :laugh::laugh::laugh:

sorry :sorry: I don 't want to hijack your thread

Nathan gives online lessons!;)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

edit: btw: welcome to the world of bass

Llama Rrama and Julien63000 like this.
  3. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Sounds like you need some kind of effects pedal to get the sound that you're looking for. Someone should be able to chime in and give ya some advice about pedals. (I know nothing about them.)

Otherwise, you're looking at a tube amp pushed hard.

4. Julien63000

Julien63000

Feb 19, 2018
    WHAT about this bass tone ? Achieved with parallel stacking . It may interest you