Growly distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dags, May 11, 2004.

1. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    I'm looking for a pedal that will allow me to dial in a bassy, growly distortion. Something akin to the song Stop by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (or BRMC). I'd prefer it be versatile too so I can get a more subtle overdriven sound like in House of Jealous Lovers by The Rapture. I don't really have much use for a fuzz type of distortion but if it's there then it's just icing. I'm currently using a cheap Behringer practice amp and I've had better distortion sounds come out my MXR M-80 with other amps but I'll soon have either an Ampeg B-100R or SWR Workingman's 15. My bass is a passive Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 with Bartolini soaps. My local GC only has the BOSS and Digitech bass pedals up for display for the most part so I want to figure out which pedals may have what I want before I ask them if they can bring out the pedals for me.
    By the way I didn't really like the Digitech bass driver and I didn't bother with the ODB-3 since I heard bad things.
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    From other people or you own ears?
  3. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    I've heard it in action and descriptions of it didn't put it in a light that seemed appealing to me. I suppose I'll give it a try anyway next time I get the chance anyway.
  4. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I'm thinking of getting a distortion pedal, apparently the ibanez one sounds really great and it's a bit cheaper than the boss, which i tried out and to be honest thought it sounded really crap. Though i haven't had a chance to try the ibanez PD-7 theres some demo's on the ibanez site, from reviews i've seen that it's best at low growling stuff but also can do many other types of distortion, so definately check it out.

P.s one other good thing about it is that you can use it as a volume or tone booster as well, all you have to do is flick the switch to clean.
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This one is the answer to all your distortion needs. A tad more expensive than the boss tho ;)

6. Wha...?? much is that one?
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    A fella rom sheffield (UK) made it to order for me. i dont know what he lists it at now, but its close to the zvex wooly mommoth price.

he does a baby 25:17 aswell... i think david wilson has one :)
  8. Toasted, please, for the love of God, get me a link or some other info to that pedal.
    I must own one.

I need one. I have to have it. Please help.

in other words, PM me. please. Thanks in advance. That pic is making me drool here.

9. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    couldn't of said it better my self.
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY

I have the 'mini ezekiel', which doesn't have the 3 band preamp.

11. That's awesome!!! :hyper: Complete with Pulp Fiction biblical quotes! I'd love to hear what that sounds like. I have a Ibanez PD-7 and it's pretty good. Messing with the dials, you can come up with some neat sounds. It was relatively cheap too. Mine is most closely set to the "blues rock" setting on the Ibanez website demos, but in my own way. :D
  12. murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    my favorite pd-7 setting is good for a nice growly tone. It goes (the knobs are marked 0 to 10, not in clock positions):

Drive - 3
    High - 2
    Low - 10
    Attack - 1
    Mode - OD

edit: this is the only setting I've found that sounds good no matter where the Drive knob is. Other settings sound good with light OD or others with hard DIST, but I like the fact that I only need to twsit one knob for a different sound that's still nice.l
  13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am sorry to tell you this... but Roberts sounds is all abiout the fuzz... I beleave he uses a Shin Ei Fuzz pedal, and I belave he uses a Big Muff too...

14. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Man that looks nice, don't think i can afford that, will just about be able to afford the pd-7 if i decide to buy it. Still i may win the lottery
  15. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    :eek: That's a beast!

Got any recordings of it in action?
  16. That pedal looks AWESOME!!!

but if youre looking for something that want stab you in your arse through your wallet, go and get a ProCo RAT, Ive used them on bass, and works great for what I think youre lookin for, gets a sound like Cliff Burton's(R.I.P.) distorted sound he uses while soloing on his last tour in Stockholm, Sweden.
  17. Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    wanna hear it, then wanna buy it
  18. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    having had both the odb3 and phat head, and having kept the boss, i have to speak out for that pedal. You can get the SAME sounds out of both pedals, but the blend knob on the boss i what really sets it apart. The signal is doubled at the input, one goes trough the distorsion circuit and the other doesnt, and then they just come together at the output. You never loose bottom end.
  19. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    If some one doesn't get me an email address for these guys that make the Ezekial, you will all soon learn the meaning of great vengence and furious anger! :mad:
  20. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK