1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Growly Fretless Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 7, 2007.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey all,

so i've been long in love w/ the fender jaco relic bass. that's one of the few fretless basses i love playing and listening to.

not only has that "mwah", but its a growly beast, too! just that combination roundwound strings on the epoxy board, into the single coil pickups, resonating w/ the alder body just make for a killer sound. especially awesome thru an SVT/8x10 stack. :cool:

unfortunately, not a fan of the regular / large to me body size that literally dwarfs me. also, i'd like to see what else is out there that's similar in sound.

so, what say you, TB!?

thx!

2. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    how do you like this sound?

i like it.
    its a rockbass corvette 5 string aktive with black ritter strings.

3. nivek

nivek

Feb 2, 2005
    France (78)
  4. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I had a Jaco Relic bass, but I sold it to fund a custom Ristola fretless. I should have it by the end of the month.

The Jaco bass played so nicely. It had such a great neck, and the tone was killer. It took me a while to get past the whole relic thing.

In the end, I realized that, while it was an amazing bass, it wasn't the sound that I was after. I love my fretted Ristola, and decided to go with him for my new build. I will post a full review, and compare it to the Jaco bass.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    A fretless Warwick Thumb, growl for days! However, if you had problems with the size and weight of the Jaco bass, a thumb would send you spiralling into the abyss.

6. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i got the same problem, joker...i'm just a hair over 5'6" and i look like a flippin' dufus wearing a full sized jazz...i tried a jaco styled fretless squier the other day, and though i thought it sounded great through the eden rig i was playing it through, it felt like i was wearing an oar from the flying dutchman...unlike what chris just said, though, i played a thumb bass for years (i'e had 8 warwicks, and 5 were thumbs in various configurations), and i don't think any of them were much heavier than the squier i was playing...and a thumb is a much more manageable size...unfortunately, though, the small body size and location of neck meets body, coupled with the location of the upper horn strap button makes the first fret seems like more of a reach...fretless thumbs rule, though :D

7. my HH Stingray can get pretty growley :D

8. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    :D "fretli"

9. Tobias Growler Fretless, I love mine! Very growly (hence the name I'd imagine), with a great playing asymmetrical neck. PLUS, it's got a smaller than average body style / size - I am a bigger guy and it looks a bit small on me, lol. Fretboard has no lines (I have no idea if that's a consideration for you).

http://www.myspace.com/thesizeoftheocean

The first clip that loads has the Tobias on it. Be patient, there are spots further into the song that give the bass some space to breathe and you can hear it quite well.

I have another clip I can email that features the fretless tone even more - drop me a PM with your email if you want it!

Peace!

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Warwick Thumb or Corvette... Very growly and modern with a lot of J-bass qualities.

Status has some of the most aggressive sounding basses out there. I'd imagine that a Status fretless would rip it up but also be hard to tame.

Roscoe fretless basses are all that and a bag of pork rinds but they don't quite nail the J-sound. Some I've played really sang out with the different wood combos he uses.

I've had little experience with these (and none with a fretless) but dare I say... Sadowsky?

11. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Pedulla Buzz with the jj or p/j configuration.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh my god, how could I forget! +1000 to this point, I had played a P/j Pentabuzz last year and it had the most growl I've ever heard come from a fretless! I used to hate the looks, but after hearing the sound, I've fallen in love with them!

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Zon. I dig the tone Michael Manring gets.

14. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    its funny, im 6"1 and i still feel like a 35" and sometimes a 34" bass is too big, (what i mean is that the 1st fret is a bit too far of a reach) thats why im thinking about selling my Fodera (which is a 35") to fund a 33" Matt Garrison sig.

now as for your problem maybe a pebulla might be a good idea, or a zon would be a good thought, ah the woes of trying to find that perfect bass...

Dave

15. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    has someone a soundsample from a musicman fretless?

16. Talk to Pete Skjold... my old fretless he built had tons of growl.. and yesterday I had the pleasure of hearing the bass he made for Tom B.. and it had the ability to sound as growly as any fretless I've ever heard. The bodystyle is smaller, and Pete's basses are also usually very light.

Just my .02

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm doing a fretless USACG dinky jazz. I sent them a bloodwood fingerboard which they are doing lines and dots on. I'm actually going to have a flat fingerboard radius which is terrific for fretless. I have the ultralight dinky alder body sitting in my basement as we speak. I think it will be quite cool.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    You're on fire right now!!!!

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The FBB I just traded away had a really small yet well-proportioned body (called the "New Jive") that was quite comfortable, so perhaps you'd want to look into an FBB built with the types of materials and designs that lead to growly sound.

20. groovetoolz

groovetoolz

Aug 5, 2006
    mtd 535 fretless
    or take an LG3005 fretless from Roscoe