Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Growly J-Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Elaskimo, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Elaskimo

Elaskimo Guest

Feb 23, 2002
    Washington
    Hey, everyone, I recently bought a MIM Standard Jazz Bass, and I'm not too happy with the output or low end growl the pickups have. I switched to some Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, so those are growling, but the tone still isn't as raw as I'd like it. I'd like to know if anyone has some good recommendations for some super hot J-Bass pickups, prefferablly under $200, I'm in a slump...

Thanks

2. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    funny you should put it that way, since the pickups i'd recommend are actually called "Hot J's"

they're made by seymour duncan and they are probably what you're looking for... hot, growly, and bassy

3. I agree with Jarrod. Di Marzio Model J pups are pretty good too.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    A very timely thread - I just picked up a MIM Jazz Fretless. I played it at last night practice and while I had fun, I had to turn everything up a lot more - I usually use a Spector!!!

Thanks guys!

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I actually have a set of these that I'm not using. I'll lay them on you for a good price....email me if you're interested. They were installed in a '62 RI Jazz that I have....they sounded great, but I wanted a more vintage tone for that bass.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    EMG J's are what (I think) you're looking for.

7. I'd really like to hear from anybody who is running DiMarzio model J, especially if on a MIM fretless.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey!Johnny Boom Boo,if you want a higher output from your MIM Jazz,and a very focused growl,try the EMG vintage J pickups.