Growly nonbright stings for Alembic? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by arbitrary, Oct 29, 2005.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So I realized that I want to put different strings on my Alembic than on my other 2 basses. I use elixirs on my other 2, but on my alembic they are a little too bright. I've used elixirs for about 5 years or so and haven't tried any other strings since then, and don't feel like trying the 900 that are out there.
    I'm looking for strings that work good for funk/fingerstyle/growl. I don't like the high end/treble that I get from the elixirs on my alembic.
    Throw some out at me....
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Worn DR Lo Riders, maybe?
    Quite growly, and a bit less highs.
  3. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I have an Alembic Orion and I like the way the Rotosound swingbass and DR highbeam strings sound on it. The rotosounds are bright when they're brand new no matter what you put them on, but when you let them settle in a bit, it's all good.
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd suggest TI Jazz Rounds. Very subdued 'zing'.
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
  6. cosmic

Jun 21, 2005
    I use D'Addarrio half wounds on all my basses. Nice and smooth on the fingers and frets, still has so0me roundwound pop -- but removes that annoying high end harshness us non-slappers do not like to hear.
  7. The super alloys also really do the trick. They are pretty darn smooth, but still have that growl and bass.