1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Growly Strings with Bite?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WavyGravy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Looking for some new strings for my P-bass. Looking for a growly yet bright tone. I play modern 'hardcore' music with a pick. The closest I've come to my desired tone are Pro Steels, but those weren't 'growly' enough for me, not to mention they died in under a WEEK!

2. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    Rotosound Swing 66's or Dean Markley SR-2000s are good too

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yep the Rotosound 66 is a aggressive steel string,
    last much longer than others I have tried.
    really bright out of the box then dim out to a perfect balance after a few weeks.

perfect for any clueless player blowing extra money on DR's hand wound by a machine.

4. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    + again on the Rotosound RS66 set.

5. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Rotosounds it is! Thanks!

6. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    Those Roto's won't be any growlier than the Pro Steels. And if you killed Pro Steels in a week the Roto's might go even faster. If you don't already, try cleaning your strings after you play/gig/practice.

7. I know they have a bad rap, and I even hated them for the longest time. But.... I currently have a set of Ernie Ball Slinky 50-105's on my P/MM bass that are actually treating me fairly well.

They have a high amount of bite to cut through in my electro-dark/abrasive rock band.

I was a D'Addario user for years. Now I have DR lo-riders on my Jazzes, Blue Steels on my Les Paul bass and Ernies on my P/MM....each bass had high and low points using different brands.

8. boodakon

boodakon

Sep 2, 2009
    San Diego,CA
    I bounce between Roto 66's and the Pro steels. I like 'em for different reasons on different basses as mentioned above.

9. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Do tell more... I was a Slinky hater but they're the only brand that has the gauge that I want: 55 - 110. They're available in any retail store and at $17 - screw it!

So do they sound ok, last a decent amount of time and all that stuff? How's the tension? My neck is already giving me dirty looks with 50-110 Boomers on it.

10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Growly strings with bite can mean anything....

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Are you sure you really want steels and not some NPS/nickel-steel hybrids? My experience with the Pro Steels (and a few other random brands) is that they are generally bright, but really lack that 800Hz - 1.2kHz mid content that really helps to cut through the mix.

12. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    I really like the new Fender flatwound strings. I go d they have a nice bite to them. Just a suggestion.

13. Yup ^^

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Its largely dependent on your bass's pups and woods. But Daddario xl nickel do great job for me on my bass and guitars. You may need P pups with better crunch then what your using though. Many P pups have np grpwl or crunch to me. If your pups pole peices are adjustable like on dimarzio's, try raising them a little bit above the pup housing top as a start. Lower action also helps crunch and growl factor imo.

15. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Former Swing 66 diehard here.

I'm digging the new EB Cobalts. Growly is subjective, but they seem to have it, along with nice highs and a huge bottom. They've lasted 2 months for me so far, which is almost a record.

YMMV.

16. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    NSW, Australia
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Another vote for Roto 66's here, plenty of growl.

17. I have trouble actively promoting this string as a replacement for a set that may cost twice as much. You get what you pay for.

I think I got a week out this set actively playing shows every night before I noticed any loss of 'zing'. But, I am a sweaty player and I tend to like darker & dead strings anyways. I just wanted a bright set to try with this band with all of the crazy distortions and effects being used.

I also am using this string on my crazy Precision/Musicman. The precision pickup and MM north coil are in series and the MM south coil is in parallel. That single coil bridge pickup has alot of bite, highs and click clack in it. While the Precision in series has alot of boom and roundness to it.

18. I just tried my first set of Rotosound 66's on my 5-string jazz....

Wow. They are bright, totally voiced this bass differently in a good way. I really dig it, on this bass (Squier Vintage Modified Jazz-V with Duncan Quarter Pounders & 500k pots, .1uf cap, Babicz full contact bridge). I ended up toning down my 500k tone pot to roughly 250k.

19. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    Got to be Rotosound Swing Bass 66.

That's why Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, John Entwhistle, JJ Burnel etc use them.
    If you want that bright growly sound, nothing comes close. Nothing......