Growth spurt?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, May 21, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ever had a growth spurt in your playing? Since Christmas, my playing has developed more than in my first year and a half of playing preceding it, especially in the last three months or so. I play with more theory, dynamics, consistancy, speed, time, and I've written more in the past three months than at any other point in playing, my ear is coming along much nicer now, and my improv is improv-ing (nyuk) more and more. Anyone ever experienced this?
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Every few months i have breakthroughs, infact i had one the other day when i snapped my g-string.
  3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    My fingerstyle playing seems kind of the same as it's been for a couple of months, my slap's come on a bit though, and all of a sudden I can work stuff out by ear! Just like that! :)
  4. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    All the time- It usually seems to take place just after I go through a period where it feels like I'm making no progress at all. It's all about the hours you put in!
  5. Learning how to play an instrument is about ups and downs, some times it seems you don't learn anything for weeks on end, and then suddenly you take a HUGE step forward. Simple example: you practice something tonight, you can't do it, and tomorrow you wake up and you can play it.
  6. There is a certain comfort in knowing that I'm not so unusual here. Yes!! I too share these same experiences with "growth spurts". Only I've always said I was going through a plateau phase, not increasing in skill and sometimes seeming like I've taken a few steps backward. About the time discouragement sets in, I find that I take a giant leap forward and then it seems all worth the while. This has happened numerous times. Also, the growth spurts don't necessarily occur with increased practice.