Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

grr...frustrated...i dont know what to do!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Mar 7, 2002.

1. I am looking to purchase my last cabs for a while, im tired of upgrading, and I need this cab setup purchase to be my last for a very long time. First off..can you mix cabs with different ohmage, like a 4 ohm cab with an 8 ohm cab? I am looking at the ampeg b series cabs. These cabs have to be very loud and sturdy cuz im gonna be touring with it. I am not sure whether or not to go with:
    bse410he (8ohms) with a bse115he (8ohms). I know this sucker will kick, but I just dont want to have to spend all the money.or.....
    the bse410hlf (4ohms) by itself, or, if i can mix ohmages...then ill add the 115 to this....but what should i do?
    what would be the loudest? I need LOUD!!!! and does the lower the ohmage make the cab louder?
    i am just so confused by all this, can somene help me sort this out

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You can mix cabs with different impedances (ohm ratings), but make sure that your amp is rated to handle them.

For example, a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab present an amp with a combined impedance of 2.8 ohms. If the amp is only rated for operation at 4 ohms, you're looking at trouble.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I could be wrong, but I think if you use a 4 ohm, and an 8 ohm cab together, the 4 ohm cab will draw more power and be louder than the 8. Like I said I could be wrong, this is just from experience.

I've also heard some heads don't like uneven loads like that, but I don't know if it is true or not. I used to run a Firebass head at odd ohmage for awhile and didn't really have any problems.

4. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    jacksonville,fl
    impedence match = max power transfer