Grr. Ineffecient BAD!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Mar 4, 2002.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Ok, i blew my Peavey bw 115, bought a sonic 215, and the guy just put new eminence speakers in it. Sounds good in the store, sounds good in my room. In a band setting.. BLAH! have the volume on about 4 and the gain on 6, my mid cut eq, any louder.. it distorts.. any more bass on the eq.. it distorts. barely loud enough to practice with. Im using a Hartke HA3500.. so power isn't an issue. The cab is running at 4 ohms, so it is getting all 350 watts. When i was using the bw1x15 i was only getting 240 watts, because it was 8 ohms, and it was louder... GRRR. Im kind of out of luck, were playing the talent show this friday, we have rehersals at school for it wednesday and a night talent show thursday night.... any suggestions? I need them fast.. I am broke and cant buy anything else for a while..:mad: :mad: :mad: :( :(
  2. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Didn't the bw have a warrenty?
  3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.

no, it was older.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you want to cut through the mix don't cut the mids. Boosting the low mids will help you cut through more. Boosting the bass will just muddy things up. Remember, what sounds good in your bedroom doesn't necessarily sound good in a band setting.
  5. True. Put a small hump in the 100-300 Hz range and you'll never complain again in a band setting.

In one of the bands I play in, at practise I use a 150 W head and a 2x8 mini cab. I cut the lows, and boost the lo-mids and I can hear myself just as good as with my 480 watt amp with a 15" + 6" cab. Lows are missing, but I can hear myself without ever clipping the small amp.
  6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Those are very good points, but I am VERY picky about my tone... Im borrowing a friends 4x12 guitar cab, and it handles everything i put into it, and it fills up the auditorium at school ( which is pretty big) on about 2 on my amp, with the mids cut.. This weekend I am trading the cab back to the place I bought it from and getting something better...
  7. I'm almost certain you will blow the 4x12 that way :-(

Guitar cabs are not meant for bass. Guitar speaker cones generally can't make the much needed larger excursion. You end up putting too much power in it and the whole thing WILL blow.

The other way round would be perfectly ok.

I wouldn't dare play on a guitar cab, especially if it is a borrowed one.
  8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As others have said, what sounds good when you play by yourself doesn't always sound good in a band setting. I once played in a heavy metal band with an underpowered combo (it was all I could afford at the time), and didn't have enough power too be heard, so I did just what the other posters recommended you do. I boosted the low mids at 150hz, and it cut through and sounded great. What good is having the tone you like if it gets buried by the other instruments? And it isn't a good idea to use a guitar cabinet with bass, you will likely blow the speakers.
  9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    thanks for the replies..

joris.. the guitar cab handled everything i put into it, didnt fart out, didnt buzz, nothing but perfect, loud tone. it may over time blow, but my amp is only on about 2 .. that what it was set at for tonights show, and it filled the place.