Grrr, GAS rumbling in my nether regions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acepiloto, May 25, 2003.

1. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I found a vintage 1966 Ampeg B-18N at a local shop for $500. (Great cosmetic condition, everything original, tubes in good condition) First off is this a good deal? I'm not too keen on the current market for vintage amps.
    I'd really like to own an all tube amp, but I'm also trying to save up for a new bass. (MTD Grendel or Warwick Corvette)

Just wondering some of your opinions.
  2. Nah, it's a rotten deal, in fact it's so rotten you need to tell me about this local shop...what's the name, where is it at, how do I get there, what hours are they open, do they take credit cards....:D

In case you hadn't figured, given the collectability of the early Ampegs, I'm guessing that's a pretty good deal. (Especially if you could wave a wad of cash at them and get it for even less, say $450.)

Look on Ebay and you'll see people paying outrageous amounts for early Kays, Silvertones, Harmonies, and other vintage stuff.

One note though, be prepared to change out filter capacitors, and change the cord to a grounded 3-prong. Although purists may not like it, do you wnat a museum piece or a great-playing classic?