Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grrr Joining/Starting a Band is so frustrating

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AltIII, May 4, 2004.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I've been trying to start a band for a long time and it seems that it's impossible to start or join any sort of band round here. I set up flyers and I've gotten a few calls. I even jammed a couple times with some guys that were starting a band of thier own and the singer called me to say that they were "putting the band on hold for a while." There's a dude at work that plays guitar and we keep talking about getting together to start something (even just for fun) but he keeps getting caught up with work or family. Is there some sort of bad luck that I've just aquired?

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    First question: where are you? Do you have a Craig's List forum for your area? Check it out. Now for the firehose of wisdom:
    Starting, maintaining, and then imploding a band is one of the toughest things I have ever done. I have often thought of doing a dissertation on the sociology of bands. They, like all human relationships, are living things that need nurturing and care. Until you have had enough, throw a fit, and leave the band.

3. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm in Bloomington, IN. *** is a craig's list forum? and yes it's certainly tough to start a band. Y'now what else is difficult? Playing bass with newly clipped nails

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Having the same problems up here in Ft. Wayne. If you're not in Indy, it seems that musicians have all went into hiding. You know how jobs have been in IN; less work>less money for entertainment>more musicians into shoe-sales. I would have though it was easier in Bloomington; have you been on Campus?

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I've been working on starting a band for almost a year now. Jamming with all my friends but most of them don't want to be in a band because the have soccer, hockey and all that kinda stuff. I can't blame then but so far I've got my best friend on drums and a good buddy of mine on rythem and singing.

6. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    yeah, but do you realize how quickly a flyer can be torn dorn or covered up on a college campus? I doesn't hurt that I'm incredibly shy and socially pessimistic. So whanever I get calls from people and jot thier number down, I figure they don't really want me to call them back for some reason.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This is part of the reason, I think, for all the one/two-piece band projects that have started up in the past few years. People like MAN, Atom and His Package, and Ratatat have total control of their music, don't have to deal with other people, and only have to plan around one schedule.

Of course, there's something to be said about group dynamics, and it's very helpful to have someone critiquing your music and when there's chemistry, nothing rivals the music you create.

Still, buy a synth and maybe a sequencer, learn MIDI, people will get a kick out of it.

8. Some things that may or may not help:

1) in your progression of improving your bass skills, concentrate on good feel (groove) and good tone

2) focus on being open-minded and versatile in the songs you play for fun

3) get to know some local performing musicians, do an informal jam here and there

4) if you accomplish 1, 2, and 3, you will have an opportunity to sit in with a performing band sooner or later

Even if you don't have a band of your very own yet, you will be having fun and be on your way to where you want to be.

Best of luck :)

-b

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Go ahead and call them... they may be desperate to play. College can be boring and costy; they may need a gig....

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm having a hard time just finding people to jam with for fun. Why does everyone have to be so busy with other stuff?!?!

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's called "having a life".

Sounds like you need to get making some calls! There's something interesting about you complaining that you can't find anyone to be in a band with, when in actuality, you probably have but you're just to (insert psychological term here) to get it moving.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Do what I do: write your own material. Creat a website. Put music on website. Direct musicians to said website. Musicians like your music, and help you form band. Dominate world.

Still working on finding people myself, mind you, but at least it's a start.

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Geez, starting out is the fun part. Wait till you've been in the band for ten years, then your guitar player quits. Or you singer dies from Hep C. Or something like that.

Makes ya wanna go be a MONK for a while! :)

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    true enough! the forming part is a pain....keeping it together over time is even more so. The lesson I've learned over the years...I prefer a 3-piece over any other configuration. Less personality junk, less "noise" in the music, easier to coordinate schedules and deal with life issues. And after saying all that, my little 3-piece band is still struggling. :cool:

15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    shy/insecure/not that good yet

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I like a bigger band, that way if one monkey tries to stop a show, there another monkey to fill in....:D

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It gets easier with time for the simple reason that over the years you will meet more and more players and after a while you will know a large number of people in the area. Until you hook up with a few of those players it will seem like noone is around.

Look at it this way: If there are bands playing clubs in your area, then there are musicians around. If there are music stores in the area, there are musicians around. Go to local shows and chat up the players, chat up the sales guys at the music stores, etc.

18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I prefer 3 piece too because that's all you really need. I don't like too much clutter.

However if you have more people in the band then make sure the other members actually do something to add an element to the band, in that case it's alright. Don't be like that slipknot band and for some reason have 10 members in the band when you only really need 3 or 4.