Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grrr. Me a silly goose.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Hi peeps

This is probably the stupidest question on here, but HOW do I attach a picture??

Every time I try I get told that its too big! (like my personal life, really ;) )

I got Irfan - how can I get pix onto my posts?

Help :help:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You can wake up now.

;)

What kind of machine are you running? You probably already have some kind of basic image manipulation program you can use to resize the pics before you try and attach them.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Either use the "Insert Image" button (looks kind of like two mountains with a sun in the upper right hand corner, second row between the middle and right side) on the toolbar of the advanced editor (you must insert a link) or you can use the "Manage Attachments" button under the "Additional Options" menu below the editor.

Was that what you needed or did you want explicit instructions. And if so, for which one?

(heh heh...he said explicit)

:D

Joe.

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    one way is....you can bring in a photo into your post if it's hosted on another site by using the IMG button (that little icon that looks like a postcard with a mountain on it) and putting the URL of the pic into that code.

like this -

Not a picture like this - ~Mod.

sorry..no offence meant.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Open your Irfanview image, go to the Image menu, select Resize/Resample, on Set New Size, change whichever side is larger (length or width) to 600 pixels, and make sure Preseve Aspect Ratio is checked. Click OK, then resave your image (save it under a different name if you don't want to permanently change your image). TalkBass only allows file attachments that are 600x600 pixels max, so changing the longest side of your image to 600 pixels will allow it to be small enough to upload into the Manage Attachments section of your post.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say, I've given up trying to post pics as it takes ages to resize them and make the filesize small enough and then they look like crap!!

I just can't be bothered anymore - I'm sure it never used to be this difficult, as I used to put photos from gigs and of my basses around here (?) - but I can appreciate that if we now have so many people and they all decide to post huge pics , it will crash the site!! ;)

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I usually don't bother attaching the pics - I link them instead. It's a lot less hassle!

8. Bruce Lindfield

But that means they have to be on a server somewhere and none of my photographs are - they're on CDs or in albums!! ;)

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Um, Bruce, I just timed myself and it took 11 seconds to resize this pic and another 10 seconds to upload it. It's incredibly easy, takes NO TIME AT ALL, and as an image that's 600 pixels long takes up half the space of your average monitor span, it's not that small.

Attached Files:

10. Bruce Lindfield

But what if you haven't got "IrfanView" or whatever..?

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Then you take the two minutes to download and install it, as it's a quality free image viewer with no ads or annoying "buy me now" messages.

Even if you didn't have it, nearly all decent image viewers or Photo/paintshop programs will let you resize your pixel length and maintain the ratio, and unless your computer is a stylin' Apple IIe, it'll do it in a matter of seconds.

12. Bruce Lindfield

It wasn't the pixel size thing that was a problem - it was the filesize limit - getting it down to a small enough number of bytes!

So - I found that if it was small enough to be allowed , it looked like crap and if it looked reasonable then it was too big!! :meh:

So I would do it once and it would take a while uploading, then say - too big - reduce quality - still too big!! - reduce quality again -still too big etc. etc.

: many iterations later :

Reduce again - it looks like crap - but is now just within the TB filesize limits - vow never to do that again!! ;)

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you're using uncompressed image types-like bitmap files or images taken straight from a digital camera without being resaved. For example, if you take an image off of a digital camera at a lower size setting, it'll be on your PC at a size of about 550k-this will be a big image and have very good quality. If you resave this image through Irfanview or a similar viewer as a new file, it will shrink in bite size while retaining the same quality. For example, I just took a digital picture that was 558k when uploaded. It was larger than my entire desktop in size. I opened it in Irfanview and went to Save As and saved it as a new file with a different name. I set the quality bar to 70 (out of 100) as this will give you the same quality as the image was before-it won't look better or worse. The new file is 111k.

TB lets you upload images that are up to 600 pixels and 150k-a 150k image that's 600pixels long is going to be a pretty high-quality looking image.

Resizing with a decent image viewer is quick and easy to do and it maintains high quality images-sounds like you might have been uncompressed images or ones that were outrageously large.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Bruce what are you running windows are Mac? On mac you just go to I photo, hit export the file and it gives you an option to reduce file size, I can do it in about 30 seconds. On windows you use to be able to get Microsoft publishing, that had a program called "Picture it" that is a great immage manipuation program for basic projects pretty cheap.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Windows and large digital picture files ..as surmised! ;)

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Solution: go to Google, find an already digitized picture online and simply make a link to it.

Ten, nine, eight, seven....

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    BTW Bruce (and southpaw1), you also have over 5mb of space you can upload images to in the TalkBass Gallery. The Gallery hosts your images and you can link your photos from it, and the 5mb is separate from the 2mb limit you have for your file attachemnts. They can any bite size and be larger than 600x600 as well.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well yes - here's one I took in Greece last Sunday and uploaded to a Greek server :

[​IMG]

But this was very easy - whereas I have found it very hard to do this on TB...:confused:

19. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Here it is on the TB server. Go to Gallery - Upload photos.

The server doesn't have to be in the country where the picture was taken... ;)

[​IMG]

20. Bruce Lindfield

It wasn't about the location - more about the process!!

So , as I've said, I spent ages unsuccessfully trying to upload my own pictures to TB - but it was very easy on this other board....:meh:

But really I just throught it was a nice picture and quite appropriate.....;)