Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GRRR... Narrow spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Dec 16, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I just went with my wife to look at a schecter bass. The GC we went to didn't have the exact model I wanted, but I tried one of the Schecter 5 strings they had.
    Nice tone, but if I bought one the pups would be taken out in favor of the DC40.
    The fit and finish was great, schecter makes some of the best looking basses on the planet IMHO. The one I have my eye on is the new C5. Black cherry quilted finish, arched body with a cream color binding. No picture I have seen looks nearly as pretty as the 4 string I saw two weeks ago.

I could not get used to the spacing, it seemed even narrower than a stingray, and that's unthinkable. To me, it looked like 15mm spacing, and I'm used to 19. I kept fumpling and missing and it drove me crazy. I really wanted to like this bass, but I gues it's not in my future.

:bawl:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is the only thing that I don't like about the Schecter 5 and 6 strings that I have played. They sound great, and all but one have had a decent B string, but that string spacing is way too narrow.:(

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I got used to 19mm string spacing in the past. I bought a nice Alvarez 6 string bass (from another forumite) that had 15.5 mm string spacing. It took alot of getting used to, but I finally did. Now that I am used to, the tighter string spacing seems more than sufficient. In some styles of play, it even seems better than the 19mm I have used previously. If you like the bass, I would say go for it. If my chubby fingers can deal with it, I think you can adapt as well.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas

Thanks for the encouragement. I will have to think about it. I have HUGE hands, as I am about 6'8", so it will take many times of returning to the music store to convince myself I can do it.

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    The thing that helped me was a style of playing where if (for example) I plucked the A string, my finger would come to rest on the E string at the end of the pluck. That helped me fit my fingers in between the strings (and allowed alot faster playing also).

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    OK, I found the first decent picture of the schecter. Still doesn't do it justice, but you might get the idea.

[​IMG]

7. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    awesome. i was looking into buying a new 5 stringer a while back and i had ordered the amber finish on the c-5. very beautiful bass. i love binding so much. that picture makes me almost wish i had waited. musiciansfriend said they were getting them in the next day. they lied. it was gonna be another month before they got them in so i bought a peavey millennium 5 off of ebay instead and i am very happy with it. maybe one day ill get that c-5 that shouldve been mine...along with that ric and that stingray and that g&l sb-2...:rolleyes:

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Has anyone played a Schecter Studio 6? Can anyone comment on it? I'm looking into one as soon as I get some money. Main thing, is it lighter than 10 lbs? My Ibanez BTB405 is killing me, and their site doesnt say that stuff.