Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grrr.... why can't I get an amp that works?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Mar 28, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Okay... been trying to put together a mini-rig with an EA Cxl110, my Raven PHA-1 pre, and an amp. Got all but the latter.

So... Musicgoround sends me a Stewart World 1.2. One channel works, the other doesn't. I send it back. They claim they tested it before shipping. They've got a Stewart PA-1400 for the same price, so I tell them to send it out to me instead.

Before sending it (luckily) they test it, and one channel doesn't light up on it either... getting frustrated.

I find another PA-1400 on e-bay, snap it up and cancel my order. It got here today, and it's DOA. I plug it in, get a click from the power supply relay, and nothing. It's been plugged in for an hour now.

I took the lid off and there's no obvious signs of damage.

What's going on here??? I've been borrowing a friends GK 800RB for 3 weeks now and it looks like I'll have to continue borrowing it.

This is obviously making me re-think the Stewart poweramp! I'm 0-3 now (or 2-6 if you count channels separately!) Has anyone had reliability problems with these guys?

grumble grumble... :bawl: :bawl: :mad:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's clear that God does not think a Stewart amp is right for you. I think his preference is QSC PLX series.

3. HAHA!! I would go with what Munji said.

jtbp

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've owned a total of 5 Stewart amps and had trouble with only one. Stewart upgraded that one for a bigger one for $50 so I can't kick.

Some days it is hard to win. I still prefer the tone of Stewart amps over everything I've tried.

Good luck to you.

Chuck

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Make sure you leave the amp turned on long enough.

The first time I ever used a Stewart power amp was in a small sound system I rented for a meeting, maybe about seven or eight years ago. It took maybe about a minute or so (or at least it seemed that long) for both channels of the amp to start up. I didn't know at the time that they did that; I thought at first I'd gotten stuck with a dead amp. Finally, after getting no response several times when I pressed the power switches, I went around to the back of the rack to see if there was some problem with the AC power connections. While I was back there wondering why everything seemed fine but wasn't working as it should, one channel came on, then the other did a few seconds later.

Once it got going, though, it worked fine. When I returned the system, I told the proprietor that I'd had a moment of near-panic because the amp took a while to turn on. He said, "Oh yeah, I forgot to warn you about that …" ;)

6. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, there's a sticker on top that warns about that. But I left it on for half an hour!

AND, the bastards that sold it to me won't take it back. They claim that because the e-bay add did not specify that the unit had been tested and was working, they're not responsible for its being broken!!! :mad:

They said they don't have the facilities to test their amplifiers, so they can't guarantee that they work -- I asked if they had a wall outlet so they could plug it in and see it was dead. The lady hung up on me shortly therafter.

Whatever, they screwed me. I left bad feedback, and I'm getting the thing repaired. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That sucks. I hope you didn't pay much for it, at least to make it worthwhile paying to get it fixed.

On-line auctions are definitely an area where the admonition "caveat emptor" is applicable, especially if the sellers don't show any evidence of competence regarding the item for sale.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

:bawl: