Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

grrr..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ChildoftheKorn, Mar 22, 2004.

1. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    well i was sitting there playing some bass...and all of a sudden i feel my E string snap under my ifnger...i look down and it uncoiled. Ive bought ernie bells and theyve uncoiled 3 times in the pats three months grrr and im a guy who like to put them on and play them till they have enough oil and dead skin and dulled down where they sound awesome but everytime i do these ernies seem to uncoil, and i dont want this to happen at a gig or in band practice. So can anyone help a fellow TB'er out with some new brands to try?

to help specify: im a mainly fingers player that plays old metal, thrash and speed metal, and i tend to dig in hard.

thanks in advance
    -Jeff

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Try D'addario strings. They're very similar in sound and feel, and they're much more durable than the EB's.

3. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    either get a more durable string, like a DR

or

If you want a "dead" and/or "duller" tone, get Flatwound strings. I believe ernie makes flats, but you could be like everyone else on this board and invest in some Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Where are they uncoiling from? The tuning peg end? When you install the strings, it is recommended that you put a 90-degree bend in the string BEFORE you cut off the excess length. This should keep it from uncoiling. So, determine how long you want the string, bend it 90-degrees at this point, and then cut off the string about an inch past the bend. This will be the part you insert into the tuning peg. I hope this makes sense.

jd