1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GRRRR ... nothing like having a (key tool) die mid-day

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Feb 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    So much for productivity the remainder of today :poop:

The starter on my 8" jointer appears to have gone out a couple minutes ago. And here I was thinking today was going to be a productive day getting a jump on the multiple orders taken thanks to NAMM last month.

It's probably an easy fix for those who are electrical motor savvy. Me, I'm going to be researching on the 'net instead of prepping body blanks :mad:

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    You can usually get a motor with a dead start circuit running, if you are careful. If one of the pulleys is exposed, you can get it started by turning the switch on and giving the pulley a quick flip (in the correct direction!). Obviously, only grab the pulley by the outside; don't get your fingers between the pulley and the belt.

As far as what's wrong, it depends on the size and type of the motor. Being an 8" jointer, I'll assume that it has a 3/4 or 1 hp capacitor-start motor. The usual failure mode is the centrifugal start switch. It's a small switch in the rear housing that's normally closed, connecting the starting capacitor/coils. As the motor spins up to speed, the switch opens. That's the delayed click you always hear when you shut the motor off. Anyway, that switch often gets gummed up or jammed open. Not a big deal to clean it or replace it if necessary. Sometimes the start capacitor itself fails, but they are usually good for several decades.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    A lot of companies have great exploded views of units and parts break down.
    Just Goggle it.
    Good luck.

4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    That's when you pull out the 24" jointer (MF #24 or Stanley #8) :thumbsup:

Or a router and a handy jig, as Bruce has illustrated nicely this week.

Will_White likes this.
  5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    got it fixed. multiple otherwise insignificant items coagulated and conspired, and then were enhanced by the cold temps in the shop today.

and there's a bonus: the motor pulley wheel had its two set screws working loose. I got those tightened, and have a note to get a tube of locktite to secure them so they don't back off again