1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grrrr ... wrong strings ...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RustyAxe, Mar 14, 2013.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I picked up a used but 100% minty Squier VM Jag, and thought it was short scale so I ordered flats for it (before I picked up the bass). Tore open the package to put 'em on the bass and whaddya know! Turns out the Jag isn't short scale. What a stupid, boneheaded, newbie move (and I've been playin' for 46 years!). I mistakenly ordered D'Addario Chrome short scale .100 gauge, what an idiot. I need LONG scale. Just ordered the correct ones. A $30 mistake. Guess I'll toss 'em in the pile, I've got no use for 'em.

Thanks for the vent ... :oops:

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Put them in the classifieds. You can probably get 15-20 bucks for them.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... which is what it will cost him to put them in the ads ...

4. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    Craigslist those bitches.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Alternatively, he could have a TB friend sell them for him.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

You can return them unopened.

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I think he just advertised them in this thread. :eyebrow:

Somebody here will prolly take em off him. :smug:

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Good catch it took me a minute.

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yeah, maybe this thread breeches some TB rule and could be construed as trying to sell 'em ... but I was just venting. I ordered the correct set from AMS yesterday, and they're on the truck for delivery today. I'll feel better once I get the Jag strung up. :bassist: And to stay in the good graces of the moderators, I will not sell these to anyone who contacts me via TB.

I've done worse. Imagine spending $200 on a set of strings for upright bass and two gigs later realizing you hate 'em! :eek: At least those have resale value, but it's still a pisser.

10. I didn't do it to that extent, but a while back just after I bought my Spector Euro 5LX I broke the E string, and of course with the bass being 35" scale it needed some extra long strings. I went to my local shop and placed an order for what I thought were extra longs.. Waited two weeks for the day I could string my new to me bass up for the strings to come in and they were the standard long scale SMH...

Was super disappointed, and had to wait another 2 weeks for my strings to get to me, but boy, was it ever worth it.

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Strings arrived, the Jag is re-strung, and the world looks much brighter today ... :hyper: ... again, thanks for the commiseration!

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.