1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

grrrrr, this makes me mad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkybassinator, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i was reading the musicians friend bass buying guide, and look what i found!

The bass guitar is a wonderful instrument. Both rhythmic and melodic, it's used in virtually every style of music so bass players can easily find a band to work with. Bass is fun because, while not as flashy as guitar, it anchors the music and gives it drive. The bass also comparatively simple, straightforward, and easy to learn. Still, it does help to know a few bass basics when choosing an instrument for the first time.

havent these guys ever heard of victor wooten??
    good bass playing takes as long to learn as good guitar playing, these guys have just never seen a real bassist!! :scowl: :eek: :rollno:

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    That is a correct statement for following along simple strummed guitar line following the root. Bass is easy to pick up. I agree with that statement.

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Yeh, what's so "easy" about it?

4. that angers me aswell .......people us to say stuff like that in highschool. you play bass?!?! y not play guitar its harder. i really dont like it when people speek with out knowing what there talking about

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    +1

Having taught both, bass is far easier to make sense of in the early days. How many bass players, who have never played guitar, can pick up a guitar and immediately play chords, etc,? Guitarists can go the other way and at least play root note bass lines - now that doesn't make them good bassist, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Now once you get into intermediate level and beyond its a different story as both instruments can be equally challenging and for different reasons.

I always remember Blackie Lawless's (W.A.S.P) quote back in the mid-80s when he switched back from bass to guitar. My mates never let me forget that he said something along the lines of "I have put down the 'tool of ignorance' and I'm back playing guitar"! I mean to say!!!!

At the end of the day us bassists know better! To be the backbone of the band we need a strong backbone!!

6. It's easier because it has less strings and we play easier parts......:rolleyes:

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I don't disagree with this statement at all. Bass is fairly easy to get started out on, particularly compaired to other instuments such as piano(got to read in the bass and treble cleff at the same time) , guitar(lots of chord patterns to learn), saxophone, trumpet(need to train your face muscles) etc.
    You can get to a point where you can play along with the roots on a song very quickly. Even a person who's never picked up a bass can figure out the "Smoke on the Water" basics in a few minutes. Try that with a trumpet!

Now, to play bass well, that's another matter all together, but honestly, it is fairly uncomplicated to learn vs. most other instruments.

8. Timmayx

Timmayx

May 29, 2006
    Wolverhampton, UK
    The statement is clearly aimed at youths who want to learn something quickly with not much effort, which in the case of bass, is quite true.

However, after the first simple steps it get's a lot harder.

now ask yourself, which do you think sounds easier to get into. Picking up a bass, playing one note on one string at a time. or trying to make chord shapes on guitar. I know which I find easier.

9. I agree with the article, but any instrument is only as hard as YOU make it. Someone who only knows basic chords on gutiar is clearly not as skilled as a bassist who knows advanced theory and is always challenging himself by writing complex lines.

10. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Any decent bassist can pick up a guitar and strum through some power chords. Any decent guitarist can pick up a bass and play the root notes.

Being good at bass and good at guitar are completely separate things. I just returned from chaperoning a youth group trip to Tennessee, and there was one time on the trip that I got mad. A few of the kids who play guitar and rotate on bass (which I COMPLETELY disagree with) in the youth band were talking.

One of them said, "I hate when I have to play bass. It's so boring." I responded, "You clearly have no idea how to play bass. You ought to stick to guitar and let a real bass player do the job. All you do is smack the root 80 times in a measure. Just watch me one week when I'm filling in for you and you'll see how it's really done."

Then I almost felt bad for chewing out a poor little freshman. I ought to add that I'm not talking out of ignorance. I do play both, and I know which is a lot more fun.

End rant.

11. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    This is also how I feel. An example: remember ( for those of you over 35yrs. old) how boring and simplistic old country music was? Especially the basslines. Well, listen to some of the top newer country music today. It is quite a bit more intricate now than it was. Any type of music and any instument can be as basic, or complicated, as the musician makes it.

12. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I agree (and I've played many instruments). Bass is easy to pick up and immediately produce reasonably gratifying noises, which can't be said at all for violin or trumpet. But bass is like any other instrument in that playing it well requires years of dedicated (and well-directed) practice.

13. Why practice? Everybody knows that there's no money above the 5th fret......:rolleyes:

14. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Playing power chords on a guitar is akin to plonking out root notes on a bass!:D

Most reasonable bassists, who have never played guitar before, are going to struggle to get their fingers around most chords and from experience most guitarist (albeit with a pick!) will be able to play riffs and runs - doesn't make them a good bass player though!

Now ask a guitarist to play finger style and its a different story!

15. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    This kind of comment hasn't bothered me since I graduated from guitar to bass, heheh

16. Why do we bass players have to be so defensive about everything? I'm sure whoever wrote that wasn't intending to slight bass players, or say "Bass is way easy and sux0rz, pick up a six string guitar, D00D!"

Talk about being easily offended...

17. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I would say to to play bass in a band at a moderate talent level is easier to achieve than to play guitar in a band at a moderate level.
    Really, guitar take more time to learn.
    Also... take a person who has been playing guitar for 4 months and give them a bass... they can play a simple bass line.
    Reverse that and give a 4 month old bass player a guitar and ask them to play E A G E chord and you get a funny look.

So I agree with the MF'ers who wrote that.

18. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    +2 I completely agree, you can be a good guitar player and can also just pickup a bass and play root notes. It'll be a lot different from guitar, and you won't be Wooten by any means but you'll be able to play bass in most situations but you won't be a match for a good bass player.

A good bass player > A good guitar player playing bass

19. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    If you're feeling apologetic about playing the bass, learn how to sing and play bass. Now who's got the more difficult task...the guitar player or the bass player? I never apologize for being a bass player. :rollno: :)

M. M.

20. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Piano is easy too. You just push the black keys and the white keys at the right time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.