grrrrrr......not amused

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.Nimrod, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    so, i got my new Ampeg SVT-3 Pro about 3 weeks ago, and so far it's been great. since it's my first "real" amp, i've been taking extra special care of it. earlier this week I ordered a rack for it to be safe.......but it is very sturdy just sitting on my cab.

anyways......yesterday after a gig, someone figured they would be helpful and load my amp on a dolly and roll it out to the car. along the way, someone accidently dropped it to the ground (no one admitted to doing it...i have no clue who it was). now when i turn it on the fan is super loud and there is a rattling noise. money wont be a problem fixing it (we made $1000 for an hour of playing :)), but it still sucks........especially since i got it so recently.

blah, guess it just goes to show how other people, even when they're trying to help, just don't have the respect for your gear that you do.

anyone have any idea how much something like this will cost to fix? there is no rattling when I move the amp around.......just when i turn it on. also, i havent been able to really try it out yet, cuz my speaker cables are at my friends house.

2. RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    That really sucks man. Hopefully your fan just got knocked unbalanced, and if that is the case it is a pretty simple thing to fix. Most Ampegs are built like tanks so as long as it wasn't dropped from about 4 feet or more you should be fine.

The worst part is going to be all of the explaining you will have to do the child services when they hear how you let you "baby" get mistreated.

Best of luck!
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is there a little metal grill covering the fan?(I'm not familiar with the head)

If so then just try getting a screwdriver and slipping it in between the wire of the grill and "popping" the grill out a bit. It could be that the grill got bent so that the fan just makes contact with it when it turns. If that's not it then look for other things that might be touching it. I've had experiences like that before with heads.

brad cook
  4. :(

that sucks....

about the fan,

-most electronic cooling fans cost $5 to $15.
    -the labor to r/r - most shops charge a 1 hr minimum.... (not sure what electronics shops charge per hr. these days, probably $50)

but - if you want your amp to retain it's warranty, you should have it repaired by an authorized ampeg repair facility.....!!!!

if they're a respectable outfit who values their customers, they will only chg. for the actual labor time, rounded up to the nearest 1/4 hour...

long story short, about 40 bucks total.... hopefully the fan is the only problem, and you get to enjoy your new amp for years.

$1000 for 1 hr of playing??

phat chedda!!!