Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

grrrrrrRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThePaste, Feb 11, 2001.

1. I want to get a 6 string bass used for a great price. So I tell my dad I have enough money and I want to get this awesome bass, and he says "No. You already have a bass and you're NOT getting another one!" I'm dumbfounded as to what to say to him, please help. Tell me what you tell YOUR wives/husbands/parents pleeeeaaaassse.

2. Be like "fxck you", drive out, buy the bass, bring it home, shove it in his face and be like "now whatchu gonna do???"
    Of course I'm suggesting that for you, if I ever did that my ass would be in the street :D

3. Uh..I don't TELL my wife anything :rolleyes:

4. Well, did you tell him you're willing to sell your other bass? Or are you unwilling?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tell him that the consensus here at TalkBass.com is that five is the minimum number of basses one must have to be well prepared for the real world of bass playing, thirteen is better, and nineteen is optimal. John Turner is an afficionado. Ask him. So two is barely a start ... deficient in every way, I would say. I have seven, and am thinking number eight is a Sadowsky.

6. Me neither - it's best she doesn't know.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Dont tell him that Its a Bass..
    Hehehe Tell him thats a special Baritone Guitar for playing stuff that almost nobody can, and you will develop new abilities with it, and become a great musician.
    :)

Or do It my way... I told my father " Yes, its my hard earned money, Im gonna invest it in my development as a musician, and its a luxury I can give to myself without asking your help."
    That was when I was 16... and bought an Ibanez ATK300.

8. LvHooters

LvHooters

Sep 20, 2000
    Tell him it only cost ya like $150-200....Its YOUR money right?...Your not asking him for it are you?

9. only one bass geez can you even play? :D

i went to school, got a job, moved out of the house and spend my money as i please.

10. Michael Manring justified the need for 2 basses by writing a song that used both basses at the same time. :)

Try explaining to your dad the differences between the 2 basses, and why you want to have both. Maybe say that instruments are like tools, you need the right tool for the job.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just say, "Okay, dad. I kinda wanted to start my own meth lab anyway."

You'll be thumpin' 6 by yesterday!

12. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Sell something. YOur old axe ?

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Basses aren't like cars. You don't need two cars. But a six string bass is like moving up in your development as a bass player. You started with a fundamental bass and now you are moving up. Unless your dad is like Jeff Berlin who believes that anything important enough to be played can be played on a four string bass, you probably do want to stretch as a musician.

You might comfort your dad by telling him that if you don't like the six string, find that it is too hard because the fretboard is too wide or that you just don't use that extra string as much as you thought you would, you can sell it. In that way, basses are like cars. They can be resold, sometimes at a profit.

If I were your dad, I would be glad you are spending your money on a bass guitar and not drugs or any number of stupid things to waste money on. Music education is good for the mind and keeps the brain active and exercized.

Good luck. I hope you can convince your dad.

jason oldsted

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I can write you a prescription for as a cure for GAS pain.

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I KNEW having a doctor "on staff" here at TB would pay off one day!!!!!

Hey Dr. Mike, will you write me one, I gotta convince my wife I need SEVERAL things!!! :D

16. I'd rather not sell my Squier P (sentimental, yes?), but anyways, I have enough money as it is... He doesn't like the idea of me playing bass. He was against me even getting AN AMP! He said it was loud enough with out it! BASS IGNOROUMUS! Anyway, that comment on the Squier being a piece of crap and me moving up as a bass player might get him... Then again, probably not.

17. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Let me first say that I don't necessarily agree with your dad's; "you're not getting another one" position. It's your money, you're not asking him to pay for it, and it's not like you're looking to pick up an AK-47 or something.

I think, and I stress THINK, what your dad is probably trying to say is; "You don't NEED another bass right now. Learn to play the one you've got." And in that sense, I would agree with the advice. Save your money and learn. Learn to play the bass. Learn to read notes and rhythms and develope a sense of time. Learn your theory. Learn to "BE" a bassist. You don't NEED six strings to do this. And when the time comes where parental consent is no longer an issue, think of how much more money you will have. And in turn, how many more basses you will have to choose from.

I was writing as you posted your recent reply. Guess the "learn to play" theory was a bit off base. Still, avoiding a big fight while learning and going to six later should be considered. Good Luck.

[Edited by MD on 02-12-2001 at 04:56 PM]

18. Ay, Im kinda in the same situation. I almost have enough money for another bass. My dad's all like "no, son, youre going to pay for college with that money." Yep...gonna pay for college with 300 bux. heh.

And my parents frown upon my even getting a bass awhile ago. Heh.

19. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    I agree with MD, Paste. Im assuming you are probably 14-15, and haven't played bass for more than 2 years (if that).

That said, you getting a 6 string is like giving a 16 year old a Ferrari, imo. 99/100, people in their first years of playing cant even MUTE 4 strings properly, let alone 6. And generally (GENERALLY!), a 6 is only really needed if you are playing either: Lots of solos, or lot of chords. And i highly doubt at your level of learning that you are doing either. Just because Claypools got one doesnt mean its right for everyone, especially if its for the ball factor.

Like MD said, wait until you've got your playing down before you progress to things which will just make you sound a whole lot worse. A 6 is a much different animal than a 4, especially to the less educated.

(Mind you, im NOT saying you have to start on a 4 and progress your way up. But, a 4 is a much simpler and easier to play bass than a 6.)

20. I think for most of us playing the bass is a hobby. For me it's a hobby that pays for itself pretty well. Believe me its a lot easier to justify to your dad ,mom, wife, kids, girlfriend, boyfriend......etc the need for more gear when they see it MAKES money. Use the bass you have on a few paying gigs and then run it by your dad. He may even loan you a few more bucks for a new amp to go along with the new bass.