Grumpy Old Men!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's a TV programme starting on BBCTV (UK) tonight and the ad copy reads :

"Apparently, the generation of men aged between 35 and 54 are the grumpiest people in Britain."

I seem to be fairly near the middle of this! ;)

But the people they interview and who talk on the programme are also the funniest and most interesting people in Britain - well to me anyway - do you think this means anything?

2. Maybe you should apply to appear on this show! :D
  3. You would make it for sure Bruce!
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Well I would be honoured to appear in such esteemed company! ;)

Tonight apparently, they are ranting agaisnt subjects like : texting, loud music in shops, body piercing etc.
  5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Yes, It means you need to have a sense of humor!
    So that counts you out!! :p :D
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    There's just something odd about a thread titled
    "Grumpy old men" started by Bruce.:D

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Well...lets see. I'm 1/2 British, 39 years old, and grumpy as hell. That sounds about right to me.
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I"m a grumpy old lady. Would the BBC be interested in adding my opinions to the curmudgeonly men on the show?:D

Bruce, if you and I were on the show, we could argue about taste in music.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Since that last comment - there has been more than one TV series of "Grumpy Old Women" - which has been equally funny as the men!

But again mostly moaning - in a humorous way - about the state of the world today and how it used to be much better!

I think I should ressurrect this thread and get people to make their lists of what grumpy old men complain about :

Mobile Phones being used loudly in public places like trains.
    Terrible boy racers who tailgate you in their sports cars with stoopid number plates!
    Audiences at gigs standing still staring and filming on mobile phones!
    Music being made in bedrooms rather than honed over years of nightly live gigs!

etc. etc.
  11. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I like grumpy old men. The older my hubby gets, the cuter he is to me. And I adore our harmonica player, who is pushing 60 and a bit of a curmudgeon. A funny and huggable curmudgeon!

I have a girlfriend who is 34 and with a guy fifteen years older. She just adores him. I've known him for over 20 years, and he is, indeed, a grizzled, grumpy ol' biker with a warped sense of humor. She utterly dotes on him. And its about time he had someone love him like that!

Here's to the grizzled, the humourously gruff, the funny Grumpy Ol' Man!

Cherie :)
  12. You know what makes me grumpy? Bluetooths (aka Blueteeth.)

Used to be is someone was walking down the street talking to themselves, you knew for sure they were nutters. Now its impossible to tell if they're nuts or just rude.

Someone once asked me why a lot of baby boomers don't seem to like kids.
    The answer, I said, is simple: We don't like competition.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

It seems even Australians are getting grumpy now:

Grumpy? Join the club

Being grumpy is more than just a state of mind - it's threatening to become a global movement.

Everywhere, it seems, more and more people are openly revelling in their misery.

And it's not just ageing, male baby-boomers - the classic demographic for disgruntlement.

Women, too, are finding a voice for their inner indignation.

A catalyst for this new pride in being pissed-off was Britain's Grumpy Old Men TV series.

Sour, world-weary blokes were allowed valuable BBC and ABC air-time to parade their prejudices and disappointments with the modern world and their place in it.

Some of it was even funny.

A Grumpy Old Women series soon followed - because let's face it, women put men to shame when it comes to talking about their feelings, good or bad - and now a stage version of the women's show is on its way to Australia.

It's not hard to understand why such a dark cloud of discontent should have formed over Britain and prompted this diaspora of dudgeon.

The Poms have some reason to be grumpy. The weather, the cricket, their proximity to the French, for starters.

But what about our own sun-kissed country of beaches, blue skies and Ricky Ponting?

What do we have to be resentful about?

Plenty, according to Tony Perry, a Melbourne-based writer, teacher and photographer who now appears to be taking his place at the forefront of the grumpy movement in Australia.

On Being Grumpy - The Musings of a Malcontent has hit Australian bookshops and promises to become a key reference work for people who are pissed-off about something, but may not yet be quite sure what it is.
    Perry takes aim at all the usual targets, and then some.

Globalisation and grumpiness go hand in hand, it seems.

Sixty-something Perry rails against cheap Asian light bulbs, Swedish self-assembly furniture, botox-inspired barbie dolls, telemarketers from Mumbai, George Bush and Paris Hilton.

Pop culture, shrinkwrapped cucumbers and politicians in general are another irritant in a generally crap world.

But Perry also unearths some uniquely Australian reasons to be unhappy.
    He cites AWB, Australian journalism, talkback jocks, and our own prime minister, who he dubs The Prince of Dorkness.

For quick reference, too, Perry lists "20 things to be really pissed off about", although you get the feeling he started off with a much, much longer list.

Maybe he's saving some for a sequel.

Perry says people have always been grumpy, but politeness has demanded that they keep it to themselves, or at least inside the four walls of their home.

"But enough is enough," he writes.

"The time has come to stop driving our nearest and dearest to distraction and focus on the real culprits - the clowns who created the mess we are in.''

Sydney-born and Wagga Wagga-raised Perry says grumpies now have a forum to release the accumulated bile of decades, and a demographic profile all of their own.

"It is heartening to know that you are not alone in the belief that the world is a basket-case run by the incompetent, the unimaginative, the greedy, the sadistic and the callous," he says.
  14. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh, I HATE those dumb Bluetooth things! I was sitting in our high school's bleachers, watching my son play football last year. I was sitting high up, by myself, and as I looked around at the crowd below me, I noticed that roughly every third person had a danged Bluetooth stuck in their ear.

They all looked as if they'd been assimilated by the Borg!

WHY is being attached to your work and your home SO important that you have to have a phone plugged directly into your ear? What's wrong with a cell phone in your pocket, so you don't look like a freakin' cyborg?

I turned down a job that required its employees to "stay connected". They handed me a Bluetooth. I told them under no circumstances would I wear it, and they could count on me *not* staying connected, because when I'm home or when I'm playing music, I'm not at work, so leave me the eff alone.

When they said I had to do it or not get the job, I told them to keep their umbilical-cord and give it someone who doesn't mind being joined at the ear to their boss.

I guess I'm a Grumpy Old Woman!

Cherie :)
  15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    At first I saw the age range. 35! That's younger than me. Then I realized. Well I'm british and as a pre-requisite for being british I hate everyone. So I guess it does describe me. Although Brucey is way more cuddly than me. ;)
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Actually it reminds me of the Matrix - the part where agent Smith takes over and everybody is Smith with the little earpiece thingy!
  17. Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    That show was great, saw a few programs a couple of years ago. Would like to see more of that! :)
  18. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Grumpy is OK; but be careful you don't get dragged down into downright bitterness. The line is awfully fine. Keep it light and it'll be all right.