1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grunert

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dave Hill, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Had this baby about 24 years, and it is still a killer. Just got an excellent set up at an outstanding shop here in Atl.

P1010019.

P1010029-1.

P1010016.

2. That bass looks brand new! Have you gigged with it? Mine gets a ding every time it leaves the house lately and it's only 2 years old.

That is a sweet looking bass. So what do you know about the Grunert?

3. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    LOL! +1
    One time I was at my instructor's house for a lesson. When I went to pick up the bass from the floor, I hit the scroll right on his perfect white doorway!

4. Ditto. That is the most pristine 24-yo bass I have ever seen, that's for sure. I try to take real good care of mine, but there's no way I could keep it looking like that for 24 years. Even the inside is crystal clear. how?

5. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    My wife hit it with the furniture scratch hider just prior to those pictures being taken, but it is in great condition. It has not seen near as much action as the bass guitars have, but I think it is about to get busier.

My father was actually the one who decided on the Grunert, after he had done some research. I belive he got it through LeMur. It's the Grunert Double Bass 4-string model made in W. Germany, and I am the original owner.

6. I live in an old Victorian house with 7 foot tall doors, so when I take mine out to any of the houses with modern doors I have to watch the scroll carefully and it is so easy to forget. One reason I really like my older house.

So Dave, who did you get to do the Grunert set-up? It looks like they did a great job on the string height. I'm guessing that's a K&K bassmax on there? That's what I've been using. Pretty simple but it works great for me. It does sound somewhat electric, but I like that it is easy on / easy off and low feed back comparatively. I lubed mine with paraffin so it just slips right under the wing.

I would have guessed that was a German bass from the way the edges are carved and the general shape. The slanted f-holes are somewhat distinguishing though. The Hofner basses have more vertical f's.

7. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Set up was done by Ron Sachs, who did an excellent job. All the basses in his shop play awesome. I like the bassmax tone, actually prefer a little "electric" in the sound.