1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grunge/Funk/Acid ***?????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hey everyone It's been a while since I've posted here I was pretty busy over the summer and with school starting things are kinda calming down which seems odd.

Anyways, I my old band recently split up we have started an new one that is a huge cluster!@#$ of genres and really experimental. I was wandering what might be some good effects to get to start working on this project.

I already have a chorus and I'm buying a weeping demon soon for a wah. I am borrowing a multi FX from one of my friends but the effects on it are pretty bad so thats why im comming to you guys.
    What do you suggest??

I was thinking something along the lines of a delay or phaser maybe phlanger?? I don't know help me out here!

:help::help::help:

Thanks in advance :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, you must already know "anything goes" if the music is experimental and a crazy mashup of genres. You probably also already know which effects from the multi would work if they didn't suck due to it being a cheap multi. If you really, truly didn't already know those two things, well, that's my first suggestion. :)

3. In addition to what Bong said, I'd say try some synths. Be it pedals or full on systems like the Roland GR-20 with the GK-3B pickup.

4. Yeah synth sounds like a good idea. I'm just trying to get some ideas down for what I should get first.

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I would think that an overdrive or a fuzz would be a good start.

6. yeah, the wah would definetely be a good investment. but beyond that id try some synths like suggested above. like the digitech bass synth wah or the ehx bass micro synth if funds allow. a flanger would be cool, but the only time it really has the potential to stand out would be during a bass solo. also, the ehx q-tron or micro q-tron would be cool. its kind of an auto-way pedal with adjustable parameters. and a fuzz would probably work better than a distortion in most cases for a rather chillin, trippy sound. id reccomend the mxr el grande fuzz pedal for that. heres the webpage, with a demo
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=377&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail
    lastly, you might also try either an eq or a di pedal. mainly for tone shaping. or even a di/compressor like the aphex bass xciter to prevent possible volume spiking, like when swithing on/off the pedals. even though pedal volume controls can remedy this, its nearly impossible to get volume adjustments dead on, and a compressor would likely help this

7. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    umm Fuzz?

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Yes, and then you get another fuzz.

And another.....................................................

9. right now its looking like a fuzz and a wah are out in front. I'm gonna have about $200 to spend so a weeping demon and the MXR will cover that

10. please tell me it's the El Grande?

11. yes

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Good deal, you can do a lot of things with a wah and a fuzz.

13. EXCELLENT!:hyper:
    Heres a video of a wah and El Grande together. It's also run through a DI box, with a little delay at the end of the vid.