Grungy sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grunge, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    well, where can i get this strings that make the bass sound grungy????????
  2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    do you want "pearl jam grunge" or "stone temple pilots grunge?"

um...just get a set of rogue strings, drag em through the dirt, maybe squeeze a rag of sweat or something on it, and slap'em on your bass. voile, instant grunge.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Awwww common dude.

Thats just not cool. It sounds like your trashing grunge.

I gotta admit that it might not have always been the most complex style ever (one of my favorite bands is Mudhoney), but it was really rockin, and had some really killer musicians.

I think grunge has had the best rock bassist in the past decade.

I mean common lets think about it....

Robert DeLeo- STP

Jeff Amment- Pearl Jam

Ben Sheppard- Soundgarden

I cant think of any other rock bassist which have come about in the past decade with as much talent as these guys.

Ok I'll give you Flea and Les Claypool (I kinda forgot about them).

Oh and back to the origional posters question, Im not sure, but if you do a search for DeLeo, Amment, or Sheppard, yous hould find some info.

4. Hmm...i'm thinking you mean bassy, growly and punchy...well, i recommend that you play around with your bass first, back pickup and bass boost, max your bass volume and try it out with a pick...

I can get a pretty good tones to resembles most of the players listed above with just about any nickel string.

BTW: It's Jeff Ament
  5. I used to play Fender Roundwounds and they had a little grungy sound. My top two strings almost sounded acoustic.
    I HATED these strings and they cost like $45.
  6. Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    well I meant this strings with this dirty sound.....

hey Nick Man u forgot about Mike Inez and Mike Starr both from Alice in Chains....but anyway i agree with.
    i don't wanna play STP even Pearl Jam I want to play Alice in Chains!!
  7. Listen

May 19, 2002
    if you want that crappy grungey nasty sound you should buy ibanez;)
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i can get the sound of alice's "would?" with my spector strung with dr hi-beams, playing with a pick.

i just kinda despise that whole "grunge" label. i was just mocking the way that a whole era of bands that got big were lumped together. they all didn't sound the same, ya know. like, i get a good laugh at how journalists called pearl jam grunge (some still do! :eek: :D ).

don't get me wrong, i love all those bands. pearl jam, nirvana, alice (to a lesser extent..."jar..." is good), soundgarden, even STP ("purple" is good...and even though the label "grunge" is a flimsy description in the first place, calling them grunge is even more of a misnomer than calling PJ grunge...).

and that whole string thing in my earlier post was kind of a pun (like ya didn't already know that!).

i think it was just that recent bob glaub article in BP mag in which the bands the calling and default were called "post-grunge" or something to that extent. blech. (btw-i guess mr. glaub ghosted on those bands' records...i somehow have less respect for them now than i had before).
  9. and that's why labels suck.

so therefore, fresh strings and a pick for AiC...i've played "Got Me Wrong" like that and it sounded great.
  10. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i think a good set a stainless steel strings will give ya the tone your looking for? well really its more than strings,its playing,type bass/pickups,,amp settings....but its mainly the playing that will give ya that "grunge" ....JMO... good-luck...
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its cool.

I was thinking the same thing as I was responding to your post.

What bands really are just grunge?

Since its so hard to define what grunge is I throw in a bunch of early- mid 90's rock bands, even the ones that dont really fit. All these bands are so different.

Alice IC- metal grunge
    Soundgarden- metal alternative grunge
    Pearl Jam- alternative grunge
    Sonic Youth- whotheheckknows? grunge
    Etc etc.

Throwing Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins and Mudhoney into one group is pretty insane.

Just out of curiosity, what bands do you guys consider truly and purely grunge?

I boost my bass and highs (to a lesser extent), but cut the low mids slightly, and boost the high mids (1k-2k) to different levels depending on what bass Im using and what kinda sound I want at the momment.

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'm trying to find out the same thing.

Why argue about the definition of Grunge? What bass player do you want to sound like?

I love the sound of Mike Starr, Mike Inez from A.I.C.

I play an F Bass and currently use Zon UltraSonic nickel strings. They sound close, but sometimes too tinny and not enough grunt.

I have a Warwick Thumb also and it has DR Hi-Beams. It has more growl and grunt, but the bass is dryer sounding itself.

Thinking of trying these on the F Bass.
  13. maybe you need a distortion pedal.
  14. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I think I know what you mean, if you play with a thin pick about an inch away from the brigde, it sounds "grungey" from what your describing. Well, at least it sounds like that for me!
  15. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Stainless steel strings

Use a pick at an angle so it "scratches" the windings on the strings.

light distortion. I use an Ibanez Phat-hed. Cool tone, but it scoops mids, so I have to add them back in.
  16. AIC is one of my favs. I learned with "Angry Chair, "Would", "Rooster", and "Rotten Apple". I play with my fingers, never really used a pick. Might have goofing around, but that was it. Now here are some of my tips. For Alice In Chains style music. The best results I have gotten are with a little cheap GSR 200 Ibanez bass, Elixer strings work pretty good. (Although I have some D'Addiarios on now.)

Now crank the P pickup volume up 3/4 of the way, leave the Jazz pickup at about halfway up. Now another thing is I am using a Laney Head, and a 2x12 cab. So I have a time getting that sound. I Crank the bass, and treble up, then leave the the mid down. Theres a mid gain on my amp, and it helps to crank it up almost all the way. Then thats how I get the AIC sound.

Using a GSR-200 bass, and a 100 Watt Laney Head, and an old Peavey 2x12 guitar cab. All of that together probably cost me about $550.00.
  17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I think you can do it with almost ant good setup with good sustain. Check this out...
  18. Sorry RockBobby, the link ain't working. I know my setup isn't what alot of folks here would consider high end or quality setup. But, my motto is " Its not always the gear, but its how you play it that counts." Kinda like know your gear, and how to use it. Then reconize its limitations.
  19. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I would have thought that strings were relatively unimportant in the quest for the grungy tone - you certainly don't want anything too 'hi-fi'.

A bit of distortion and overdrive in your signal chain might do more for the sound than any kind of new string.