1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gruv Gear Integrates Lost-and-Found Tech In Musician Travel Bags

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Dec 20, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Orange County, California (December 11th, 2019) – Gruv Gear, the California-based travel bags and cases manufacturer is pleased to announce a strategic alliance with UK-based HomingPIN. Selected ranges of Gruv Gear cases and bags will now be sold complete with custom-made Global Recovery Tags, powered by HomingPIN, significantly reducing the possibility of losing luggage or instrument cases while traveling.

Gruv Gear’s mission is to revolutionize the lifestyle of musicians and jetsetters with thoughtful and innovative luggage, instrument and accessory bags and cases. All the company’s products are constructed to high quality standards using superior materials. They are rugged, waterproof, convenient and comfortable to use.

Each Global Recovery Tag built into Gruv Gear bags and cases has a unique, permanent, anonymous identification number. The hardwearing, metal tags are easy to use, there are no moving parts or batteries; simply register the tag on the HomingPIN website secure database and if a bag or case is lost or fails to arrive when traveling, the ID number can be searched and bags reunited quickly with owners. HomingPIN is integrated into over 2800 airports worldwide.

‘We were looking for a robust, low-cost, and reliable asset recovery technology to offer our customers, many of whom are jetsetters and world-touring artists,’ comments Jay Baldemor, President of Gruv Gear. ‘Losing or misplacing luggage, instruments, and critical work equipment while traveling can be devastating. Our goal is to give customers peace of mind, not only with the quality and protection of the bags and cases we offer, but also security and recovery. Teaming up with HomingPIN has allowed the Gruv Gear to do just that.’

Andrew Hopwood, CEO and Co-Founder of HomingPIN, said, ‘We are delighted to be working with Gruv Gear to help protect all their customers’ bags, high-valued musical equipment and personal possessions. Like Gruv Gear we understand that a person’s belongings are more than just objects; the HomingPIN global recovery system greatly improves the chances of the owner’s belongings being recovered should they be misplaced of lost.’

Initially, Gruv Gear is launching the Global Recovery Tag feature built in to the following products:

• Kapsule travel guitar case • Stadium Bag
    • SLNG personal tech pack • Club Bag
    • QUIVR Tour drum stick bag • VELOC Drum bags

The company already has plans to integrate the Global Recovery Tag into many of their upcoming bags and cases, making Gruv Gear the first in the Music Industry to offer such a technology. The Global Recovery Tag tracking service is free for the first year and $6 per annum thereafter, peace of mind for less than the cost of two lattes!

Current owners of Gruv Gear backpacks and cases are able to purchase tags on gruvgear.com/foundit

Gruv_Gear_HomingPIN_Kapsule_Club_Bag1.jpg Gruv_Gear_HomingPIN_SLNG.jpg

mb94952 likes this.
  2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Even though it's only $6, I hate the "everything as a service" trend. I guess it's been around long enough to not call it a trend.

3. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    My Gator cases have blank name, address, phone number tags on them. I fill them out. If Gator goes out of business (doubtfully), honest folks still have a very simple way to get in touch with me. No QR codes, URLs, or other things that may not be things in the future.

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    In general, I agree with you, though things that absolutely require outside hardware that needs to be maintained to function I have less of an issue with.

Now, when you try and take a program that's been happily running locally on my computer for many years, and turn it into a service... that's when I get angry... and will jump ship, but I digress.

Anyways, back on topic - this is a nice and relatively inexpensive idea, and will likely prove useful for many, but I don't believe it really does much to protect against my biggest concern: theft.

monsterthompson and CyberSnyder like this.
  5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Nothing like a fancy bag to subtly imply "nothing of value in here."

roccobass likes this.
  6. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Was it Sadowsky that offered a stealth option with no logo on the bag?

7. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I don’t know, but that’s not a terrible idea.

More than once I’ve had a sticker and thought - I’ll put this cool sticker on my car! Then thought better of advertising possible contents.

GHOST AT likes this.
  8. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California
    Ain't that the truth!

monsterthompson likes this.
  9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    My current main bag has no significant markings. People would obviously know its a guitar bag and something is in it, but it doesn't advertise what bass is in there. Could be my $260 G&L. Could be my $3,000 Roscoe. I get that companies want to advertise, but I prefer that my bags and cases are basically blank.

roccobass likes this.
  10. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California
    I fully agree. Not that I'll be traveling air wise with my bass anytime soon, but that's good advice on the nondescript case you have in mind. Same thing goes for my carry on baggage. I also just have bit of worry of how my precious instrument will fare in possibly rough hands. (see video)

In support of Gruv Gear, for some folks, it might be a wonderful idea. Especially the tracking device. Yes, the both guitar and bag look quite pretty. The case won't be so after the first time it goes thru LAX, Ohare or La Guardia airports. So, if you're ok with that, alls well. $6 per year on the subscription isn't bad, but right now, I'm sticking with my own anonymous ways.

monsterthompson likes this.
  11. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    This is great and all, but not going to do anything in case of theft. I want a GPS tracker so I can call in a dronestrike against the thieves.

12. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    That was my initial reaction, but I don’t think that’s the objective. It’s really more about returning luggage that gets lost or misplaced. Thieves are gonna thieve. Not sure if anyone really knows which happens more, lost or stolen gear while traveling(is that a published statistic?).