1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GS 212 or Powerhouse 2x12??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stride000, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Hey guys,

I'm currently shopping around for new cabs to change my Eden 210XST's for a 2x12 enclosure.

I like the sound of my actual cabs but find they're not fat and creamy enough and have a bit too much mids to my taste. (i know they're intended to sound flat etc... etc... but still, with the mids cut on my bass and at 9 o'clock on the amp, i still miss some old school butter).

That's why I wanna go with 12's so I was considering the Aguilar GS212 since my amp is a DB750 but i'm starting to get concerned that it'll be too airy or hi-fi and not enough warm sounding.

I then remembered trying a Mesa kit, m-pulse 600 with a powerhouse 410. I liked the sound of it but was finding the amp to be a bit coloured for my taste. I found that there always seemed to be a slight hint of a chorus sound from the amp.

But i'm wondering if my DB750 through a powerhouse 2x12 would be the best match for an all around fat, creamy yet very punchy sound. The only concern I have is the mesa is 8ohm only and i don't want to buy two of them and i need the 750W at 4ohms my amp is putting out.

I'm playing with different artists ranging from folk to alternative going through pop and rock. So I don't want something muddy like Ampeg and don't want something Hi-Fi and cold either.

I know the best solution is to actually try the rigs and A/B them but the stores here don't carry both manufacturers. It's either one or the other and the stores are 160 miles appart.

So any of you guys had the chance to experience these combinations?

Thanks

Stride

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i have a GS212 and LOVE IT. I use an Aguilar DB359 with it. it sounds great. It's most definately warm, fat, and thick. I think the GS212 would be the best bet, it will complement the DB750 real well.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a GS212. It's fantastic. I use it with my L2500 Trib, and play all sorts of music. It's a great cab! It sounds really good with my GK head, or my trace elliot pre-power setup.

4. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Check out the Dr Bass threads. I have a Dr. Bass 2260 (3-way 2x12) and I love it.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    consider two 112 cabs as well. Then you can get the 4 ohms and have a very portable and modular setup. I just aquired a second 112 cab and the pair I have sound huge together. I went with the new Ampeg 112 so far I am finding the pair to be tight, punchy, growly and loud!!

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I've heard/played through a GS212 before and I love it's tone. My local GC has a used Powerhouse 2x12 that I've been dying to try out. They have it for $550, is that a good price for that?:confused:

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The DB750 with the GS212 is a really good thing, they're made for each other.