Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gs112 and power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Jun 29, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    This is aquestion for people with experience with aguilar gs112's. My current rig is an svp-pro through an rmx 850 into an ampeg 6x10. Great for high volume stuff but a little out of place on smaller gigs. I am thinking of going with a couple of gs112's so I can take one or two depending on the requirements of the gig. I figure the rmx 850 will push one cab just fine, but i don't know about two. Can the gs112 be daisy chained? If I daisy chained I would be pushing 830 watts through both cabs. Should I get another rmx 850 or a different power amp altogether? Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    If you drive two GS112's in parallel, that will present a 4 ohm load to your QSC RMX 850 which I believe puts out 300W RMS at 4 Ohms. You'll be fine driving both cabs with one amp.

3. Your RMX 850 will push 2 GS112's quite well. The cabs can be daisy chained together to give a 4 ohm load. The 830 watts give you a 230 watt difference between amp and cab ratings, and therefore some decent headroom.

It sounds like you've got a pretty nice rig in the makes.

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    thanks for the reply mike, i wanted to make sure i'll have enough headroom. i'm hoping this rig will sound good, i'll let you know how it turns out.

5. Well, many people would say there is no such thing as "enough" headroom, but you have enough power to run each cab full out and then some more, so I don't think you'll have any problems.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I have a question along similar lines.
    i hae RMX1450 and just ordered a GS112 from Gard at Bass Central today. i will eventually get a second GS112. what are options as far as getting the most from my power amp? would it be best to daisy chain and go into bridged mode on the amp or run both channels seperately into the GS112s?

7. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I would think that connecting to both cabinest parallel, with a 4 ohm load, and then bridging the amp into that 4 ohm load would give the biggest punch.

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    So effectively, the two speakers in parallel will be a 600W, 4 ohm load. bridged the amp will produce 1400W. is this a case of "BE VERY CAREFUL" since thats more than twice the cabs capability?

i would rather play it on the safe side at this point in my life.

9. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    In my experience, if you're not playing at stupid loud volume levels, more power insures clean sound. If you're distorting, there is a potential for damage. I see more power as headroom, so that a low note does not clip the power amp.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Argh. Ok, be careful is always good advice, but also remember that if you succeeded in putting 1400W through those cabs, it would likely kill you. When running at volumes that do not cause immediate deafness, you will not be overdriving those cabs. Just use common sense. If you hear distortion, then that's bad. If playing causes painful bleeding from your ears, turn down.

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    ha ha. i just wanted to know what i was dealing with here. its good to know that i would have that kind of power if its needed for outdoors or large gigs.

the more i know about it the more i will respect it, thats why i was inquiring. i used to handle dynamite...and just because i had a stick of it in my hand doesnt mean i was crazy enough to light to the fuse.

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Sorry about the sharp witted response. Sometimes I go to far.

In a nutshell though, the numbers that manufacturers put on their gear are not trustworthy. Ok, there are some exceptions, but unless you know which numbers you can trust, you have to be wary. Fortunately audio gear will tell you that it is being stressed by giving you a distorted sound before you reach the point where you have destroyed the gear. Be sure to listen to your rig and respond quickly if it does not sound right.

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    No worries. i know that essentially what i asked was something that has been discussed many times in one way or another. only i couldnt find exactly what i was looking for, so i figured i would pose the question in such a way that i would allow me to sleep better at night.

The info has been most helpful.

One more question...hopefully i wont have to start a thread about it (and considering that i have already hijacked this thread once, sorry about that csholtmeier)

i just got my first GS112 in today. only got to play on it for about 2 minutes then had to go back to work. Do these need to break-in at all? when i turned them on, i kept the volume really low and i could here a hissing almost sizzling type sound. i didnt know if that was normal with new speakers as i have never had a cab this professional before.

Thanks

14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    It might be normal for your rig. The GS112 has a tweeter that when dialed to its max volume can be quite harsh. If your rig has any hiss to it, you may simply be hearing it now that you have the tweeter. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure would be to do some sort of A/B comparison. You might want to plug your cab into another rig to see how it sounds. Also, you can try turning down the tweeter (the dial on the back of the cab) and see if you can find a sound that you like.

15. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    good point. i will look into connecting it to the back of my combo (SWR Redhead) and disconnecting the combos speakers, to see if i can hear whats going on.

16. Odds are you were just hearing the tweeter. The Aguilars always ship with the tweeter attenuator up halfway. This can produce a little bit of hiss. Adjust the tweeter however you prefer it.

As far as breaking in cabs... Well, I never did with mine and they're fine. I don't really get the purpose of it though (doesn't quality control cover this?)...

17. loudspeakers tend to sound better after a few to several hours of use. this is commonly known as break-in. you won't damage them if you use them without break-in, but they will handle extreme usage a little more gracefully if they have been broken in.

speakers are mechanical by nature -- they move and flex to create sound. their components change over time and with use, as different stresses slightly alter the materials.

robb.

18. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i expect that that would be true. i found the thread here that went over speaker break-in. seems that a few companies (e.g. Eden) recommend it...other companies dont.

but to make minor, and possibly poor, comparison. the first hour or so i ran my power amp, it smelled of hot electronics, but the smell has gone away since. just oils and residues from the manufacturing process burning off, i would guess.

perhaps i am just being paranoid.

19. no, you are correct. i have never been to a semiconductor foundry, but the simple fact that it's known as a foundry makes suspect the conditions outside of the clean room (literally) where the silicon is worked.

even the cleanest of factories is a magnet for dirt; it's very difficult to keep anything clean.

robb.