GS112 and SL112 stacked with TH500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lobsterboy, Feb 22, 2017.

1. lobsterboy

lobsterboy

Feb 22, 2017
    Newbie here... I am looking at the following option to get into Aguilar rig affordably. Is there is any disadvantage to combining a GS112 with an SL112 with a TH500 as the head? I have been looking through the forums here and have not seen that combination.

Also, would it be worth combining a GK Neo ii 2112 with either of those Aggie cabs? they are both 8 ohms... Can't quite afford to get two sl112s even though that seems to be the best option...

Anyone?

2. I don't recall the specs on the SL112 but I think they are also 8ohm w/ 350w handling or thereabouts so you should be able to use them together with most heads. Most people say the GS112 has deeper/beefier low end than the SL while the SL is mid forward and the GS is somewhat scooped. Might be a great combo.

3. lobsterboy

lobsterboy

Feb 22, 2017
    What about GK Neo 2X12 with GS112? would that cause the GS112 to fart out?

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Pushed to it's limits with a lot of bass EQ, the 112 cab will quickly be in distress prior to the 212. The TH into two 8 Ohm cabs will provide each with 250 clean Watts, so you won't even be close to trouble on the 212 and the 112 will still be in safe territory - you still need to use your ears and some common sense though.

As for how these various combinations will sound, a lot will depend on the tone/voicing you're looking for and how well those cabs play together. You'll pretty much have to answer that question by listening for yourself. The Aguilar GS and SL, and GK Neo cabs are all very different sounding to my ear and I'm having trouble even imagining them paired up - not good or bad, just strikes me as a strange mixed bag.

The TH will sound great with the GS, SL or GK cabs, and each will have notable unique characteristics. If weight isn't an issue, the GS cabs and TH are a great combination. The GK Neo is a excellent value play that is quite impressive and a touch more mid present than the GS. A single SL112 cab didn't impress me in the lower register and felt a touch too mid focused, but two of them together made a big difference and sounded quite nice. However, there wasn't enough there for the money to convince me to buy the SLs. When you start combining those cabs with their specific characteristics it becomes a question similar to how much and what type of seasoning you like on your food. I hope that helps!

5. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    They are 250wts at 8ohms.

6. As long as both cabs are 8 ohm so the added sum of both cabs is 4 ohms. ..it'll be ok in that regard. The Aguilar amp doesn't go lower than 4 ohms.
    The trouble here is ...IF both the 212 cab and the 112 cab ARE indeed 8 ohms each, then you're feeding them both with the same amount of power. .. therefore blowing up the single 12 is a real possibility. .. no matter what the wattage specs say.
    Matching exact speaker cabs is always a safer bet. . But the 2 x 112s is the better option of the ones listed.
    If the GK212 is 8 ohms. .. why not just use that?. .. then you could always grab another - for a killer 4x12 rig - if you liked later.
    Bottom line - matching speaker cabs is always safest option. Mis-matched cabs MAY work well. ..but also may not work well.

The TH500/350 run at 8 or 4 ohms. Running em lower than 4 risks catastrophic amp failure.
    (always wanted to use that word :smug:)

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Personally I don't mind but, likely science trained folks will tell you it's not good idea to missmatch same driver size

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I would characterize the scientific argument as one that focuses on being sure the cabinets (regardless of driver size) were designed to be used together or have at least been tested and/or demonstrated to be compatible/complementary.

The scientific crowd (and I'm an engineer) often makes statements that seem to leave little room for compromise. The real point here is that unless you know something was designed to work with something else, it's a risky to just assume that two great items will be as great or greater when used together. As with every risk, the pay-off might be big, but if you can hedge your bets, why leave it to chance, and if you have choice and there is an expensive downside, why not make the safe play.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021