Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GS112 or GS210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Well, although i am still waiting, i do have a GS410 and DB750 on the way. I was thinking about it and figured maybe i should have something for smaller gigs so i don't have to carry a 410 to a small show. What do you guys think, should i get 1 GS112, and maybe add another GS112 in the future, or should i get the GS210?

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    And while we're at it, I'd like to know if people think the gs-112, can do everything the gs-210 can.

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    the 2x10 will blow the 1x12 away in volume.

2 1x12's will in turn be louder than the 2x10.

by the way, i found the 1x12 farty and high volumes on the low B.

in short, the 1x12 is perfect for a coffee shop or jazz gig. lightweight with good tone, but it won't fill a club.

the 2x10 is comparable to the rest of the world's 2x10 in volume: SWR, Eden, etc.

Cheers.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    tonally, i LUV aguilar's 2x10's.

and i prefer the Aguilar 2x10's tone waaaaay over the Aguilar 1x12's. seems more consistent at all volumes. my Bergie 1x12 is the ultimate in that catagory.

in alot of respects, i like the Aguilar's 210 better than my homeboyz at Bergantino. dunno what it is, but the 2x10 Aguilar's seem to have a nice cushy feel that's also just aggressive enough for me, but not nearly as much as Eden or Epifani. and yet still be hifi and clear enough for my tone tastes. mids can get harsh on the Epi's, and an Eden D210XLT next to an Aguilar sounds like a big punchie "blat" to me. tho the berg was really nice and had that siggy rounded edge tone that i love so much, for some reason, i was vibing more off the Aguilar. tough choice.

as for deciding on your volume needs, the good Capt seems to be pretty dead on.

btw, i played a DB750 w/GS410 at Bass Boutique, and the tone was, to say the least, monstrous! was pushin' so much air, the acoustics on the wall sounded like they were being assaulted. :D :D Great rig, Cookie!

5. I think i'm going to ge the GS210. Then i'll also bring that and the dB750 to college with me. And then for gigs, i can use the 210 for small gigs, the 410 for bigger ones, and if i want, the 210 and 410 together for even louder, killer, blow your socks off sound. :-D

6. Good call. I just got an Aguilar 2x10 to go with my 2x12 and the 2x10 is razor-sharp and growly as hell. A great sounding cabinet.

7. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Mr. Fortune,

A 1 x12 is cool for your dorm room and practice. You could also use it for a coffee house at low volume.

A 2x10 is the right choice for small gigs.

If you haven't already, and you have the time, I think you owe it to yourself to A B the Eden 2x10 along with the Aggie 2 x10 in the same room. I repeat, in the same room. I'm a big Aggie fan and love my 359 but I prefer the Eden 2 x10 over the Aggie. Who knows you might or might not. Let you ears decide.

A.

8. Yeah, i mean, i've at least heard both of the cabs. I figured just to keep aguilar with aguilar, although, if i get a 210XLT then i would get that Eden tone that a lot of people rave about. but i dunno, i'll probably stick with aguilar.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

nothin' would look sweeter than an Aguilar head sittin' ontop of a nice aggie cab... OOoooo!!!

btw, who had that DB359/GS210 setup??? i remember someone posting a sweet picture of their rig...

10. I have two GS112's. Love them! Loud and accurate.

I take one for practice or as a stage monitor and run two for clubs/gigs.

I on the other hand far prefer the sound of my 2 112's to a 210. They are nice and light too (45lb).

11. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    CaptainWally, you are not the only one that has found the Aguilar 112 to be farty on the B string. I heard the same thing on another forum which is not as Aguilar-crazy as this one. This is the main reason I paid the extra $$ to get Epifani T-112s instead.

PS. Joker, I don't find the Epi's "harsh" at all, I find them clean and clear. They seem to reflect what the amp is doing pretty accurately. While they will work with 350 watts or so, they are definitely better with 600 watts. Each! :cool:

12. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Reviving this thread to see if I can get any new responses.

Do 2 112's cut as well as a GS210 in a moderately loud to loud rock band with a heavy handed drumer ?
    I'm quite aware that volume wise, there's almost no competition.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    stace,

what's the other guitarist using?

14. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Main gig:
    2 guitarists :
    1 Marshall 100 Watt
    1 Randall 200 Watt...That seems like a lot though
    They don't tend to crank it too much but I'd like to be on the safe side.

The other group of thugs I play with less often are a bit louder :
    Mesa Dual Rectifier 120 Watts.

Both drummers tend to abuse their drums though.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a dual 1x12 setup would kick butt, but if you want more punch and cut, a dual 2x10 would be better. you could do a 4x10, but they're just a pain in the ass to lug around.

16. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I definitely don't have the build for a GS410:D .
    I really want a consistent cab that isn't sloppy on the lows and won't get lost in the mix. But don't we all...:)
    Thanks for the responses joker.

17. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Go with a GS212. The 210 is no comparison. It’s much easier to lug than a 410, and it’s got more bottom than Etta James while still maintaining much of the clarity and punch associated with 10’s. If you need more volume, get a second GS212.

18. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I'll look into that if I can find one. Problem is I don't want to underpower the cabs...500 W is all I can offer bridged. Although I know Aguilars are pretty efficient. If I go 12...it would probably be 2 112s though (for portability).

19. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I mention the 212, because it’s hardly any heavier than a 210. Two 112’s will get you the same thing. For me the 212 made more sense. It’s cheaper, and the 212 has wheels, so it’s pretty easy to move around. I looked at it as being hardly any bigger than a 210, and a lot lighter than a 410, rather than being heavier than a 112.

As far as power is concerned, I’m driving my 212 with 200W, although it is a tube amp. 500W ought to be just fine. Regardless, I’m not sure I get the whole under-powered thing. Adding a second speaker gets you another 3dB, so for a given power, that’s always a good thing. Plus, if you have a solid state amp, your output power will nearly double, dropping from 8 to 4 ohms, giving you another 3dB, or a 6dB total increase. If you like the tone from speakers driven near their limit, than I guess that could be an issue.