1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GS212 review part I (pre gig)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stride000, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Hi there,

Bought a brand new Aguilar GS 212 cab two days ago and here's my impressions so far.

First of all, I had the chance to A/B it at the store with part of my former rig and that's an Eden 210XST cab.

Right away, i could notice that the sound of the Eden was sounding kind of veiled compared to the aggie and is more middy even if the XST cabs are supposed to be flat.

The GS212 also handles the DB750 a lot better and there is significantly less cone movement than with the 210XST. The lows are better handled below F and the sound is fuller and more detailed overall.

Back at home, while playing at fairly low volume in order to break in the drivers, i found the sound to be warm and tight but it seems i could use a bit more punch (that will have to be conter-verified while in a gig situation and at full volume). As for the tweeter, i found it to be very hissy when it's control is set flat. i had to turn it down to 9 o'clock for it to be not too noisy (and that's while standing very close to the cabinet so this might not be noticeable live).

For now in conclusion, the GS212 has a tight, well defined sound and it's warm. I have a gig tonight and therefore will be able to test if it applies well to a rock setting as for right now it tends to be a bit airy and not punchy and compact enough to my taste.

2. i love my GS212. i use it with a Db359.

i feel the same way. It's fat, thick, and warm. The lows sound excellent. I also like my tweeter around 9 oclock.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

While I'm not a huge fan of the Ag cabs, I actually very much like the 212 I played a while ago at LDS.

One comment for you.... remember, the 12 o'clock setting of a tweeter is arbitrary (even if the plate is marked 'flat' at 12 o'clock). Most tweeter/crossover circuits set at the 12 o'clock setting will quickly overwhelm the rest of the cab, and, if you have a head that is a little noisy, you will hear quite a bit of his (remember... tweeters don't hiss... they reproduce hiss).

I personally like a very bright sound, and have never had the tweeter in any standard circuit like Ag, Epi, Berg, Eden, past 10 o'clock. So, nothing wrong with your circuit... my guess is the 9 o'clock setting is much closer to 'flat' than the noon setting.

Enjoy that nice cab!!!

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I've been using one for a while as my main cab and in my experience, the mids open up a lot at higher volumes. I think the cab has a mid cut built in that flattens out as the volume goes up (sort of a reverse monsoon-fleischman-ooga-booga curve or whatever that curve was called that deals with the ears' sensitivity to frequency). At low volumes, it is kinda woofy to my ears.

Great cab, and not too much of a bear to move.

5. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Had a gig on saturday night and had the chance to test my new GS212.

The complete rig used was the cabinet, powered by a DB750 and I was playing a MM SR5.

As I was the first arrived at the venue, I had the opportunity to set up and play by myself in order to have a feeling of the stage and the room sound. Right then, I was extremely pleased with the plush, fat and creamy sound coming out of the cab. The sound was tight, not boomy, very present and punchy.

Upon this initial setup, I had ajusted the volume at the settings I used to have it with my old rig (2 Eden 210XST's) and came soundchecks, i became afraid this one cab would not be loud enough to handle the extremely loud guitar player. I was wrong. Even with two eden cabs, I couldn't push the DB's master more than 11 o'clock as there already was big cone movement in the XST's and pushing them farther would result in the cabs starting to fart. With the GS212, i was able to comfortably turn the master up to 1 o'clock without significant cone movement and the cab handled everything marvelously well even grooves on the B string.

What was interesting of that initial test gig is the guitar player experienced troubles with his amplifier during the first set and had to finish the show plugged directly into the PA without any distortion so it became an acoustic set.

In both situations, heavy rock and acoustic, the GS212 was detailed, warm, fat and punchy. Also, I had the chance to go into the room when the PA was off during the soundchecks and the cab projects very well as compared to the Eden where the sound would become thin after walking 15 feet from the rig, the GS212 kept throwing it's fat, punchy creamy yet detailed sound consistently 20 feet from the stage, center, left and right.

In conclusion, if this rig keeps giving me these results from stage to stage, my quest for the right sound might just be over, and i might add another GS212 to my arsenal for big venues.

6. great review. i think i might up to a GS412 too eventually. I'll have to try the DB750 too.

7. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    I was considering the GS412 as well but I'm wondering if I'd be better with two GS212 and have a more modular rig. Also, with two 4ohms cab it would allow me to take advantage of the 975W the amp can give out at 2 ohms compared to the 750W at 4ohms. Unless I could ask aguilar to have a GS412 wired for 2ohms.

8. that would be interesting. If you do ask them, let me know how they respond.