1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GS410 vs 410XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stride000, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Hey there fellow lowenders,

I was just wondering if anyone here had the chance to try both of these in a live setting with a DB750.

I'm in the process of changing my cabs (2 BXT-410) and I'm really hesitating between the two. I know you have to listen for yourself with your own equipment but still, I'd like to have some opinions before.

Since I got my DB750, I'm falling more and more in love with it as I use it. But, there are some really varying levels of enjoyment depending on the cab I plug it into.

I know Eden cabs have been a reference for many players for a while now so it should be a good match with the amp but I got different results up until now. The 610XLT did nothing for me while I liked the 112XLT if I forget about it's lack of power and definition.

The only cabs that've really impressed me right now are the Aggies S410, but again, they lack power handling. So I know I'll be going for a 4x10 config and I want to remain in the not hi-fi area so i'm not going to consider Bergs, Epifanis and the like.

So to come back to the initial purpose, any of you had the chance to A/B a GS410 and 410XLT or XST? Wich one cuts best through mixes and has the warmest and punchiest sound with bottom?

Thanks

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    GS410 and 410XLT are more simmilar than different other than the Eden's built in low-mid boost. The GS410 has a flatter, truer sound, where the XLT has that distinctive punchy (sometimes honky) sound that is hard to EQ out if you don't want it. Both go crazy loud, do well with 5 strings, and are too heavy for one person to lift without risking pain.

I agree with you that the S410 could be the best sounding cab of the bunch. It really has a great warm mid punch and big bass, really tasty highs, also does perfectly well with a 5 string at stage volume, and run with a 400 watt SWR head was plenty loud to keep up with a rock band, so the "low power handling" is NOT an issue really. It is also light enough to be a one man carry. The only downside is that its a rear ported cab, and in my experience you need to be a little more careful about where you set a rear ported cab onstage to avoid boom.

Since you are using an amp with limited EQ, you're going to want to pick a cab that has a natural voice that you like above all else. Personally, I'm waiting with baited breath to hear the new DB410.

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Also, if you didn't like the 610XLT you probably wont like the 410XLT.

4. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006

Then, maybe the one I ried at the store had a bad driver cause it kept bottoming and the volume was not at a live band level. But still, even with good drivers, I'd still be worried about the power rating. My BXT's can handle 600W each and I wouldnt gig with only one of them. I know they're very muddy sounding but still...

So I really want to go with the professional high powered types of cabinets.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    S410 handles 500 watts, GS410 handles 700. Thats not a huge difference IME. Of course the GS is more sensitive so it is quite a bit louder. I would call either one of them "professional high power cabs".

You're not the first one to complain about an S410 bottoming out though ... how much bass boost were you using? I ran it without any bass boost since its such a fat sounding cab. The GS410 needs a bass boost since it has a punchy basic voice.

6. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    I tried it with my DB750 so everything was flat and the deep switch was off.

Going back to the 610XLT, I found it had lots of punch, very mid sounding but had no warmth and no bottom.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Totally correct!! I had the same experience with the 2 cabs. I have used both live and have had no problem cutting thru with either. The GS410 is the "upgrade" to the XLT